Duck egg safety?

KLoudon81

Chirping
Apr 4, 2017
Hi everyone.
Ok, so thanksgiving is coming up and i have been put in charge of deviled eggs. Knowing that we now have ducks, my family wants them to be made with duck eggs. Now, we have been bringing in our eggs each day and storing them in a basket on the counter unwashed. It just occured to me though that, since it's been pretty cold out the last few weeks, most of the eggs are rather cold like they've been in a refrigerator when we bring them in from outside. We haven't washed them, but is it safe letting them go from being cold to room temperature for days? I just don't want to feed my family potentially spoiled eggs. Does the bloom protect them from such drastic temperature shifts?
Thank you so much

Usually it does. The only caveat is that if the temperature is too great, they eggs could sweat (condensation).
Since duck eggs taste a bit different, you may want to use both in case some don't like the taste.

Hi everyone.
Ok, so thanksgiving is coming up and i have been put in charge of deviled eggs. Knowing that we now have ducks, my family wants them to be made with duck eggs. Now, we have been bringing in our eggs each day and storing them in a basket on the counter unwashed. It just occured to me though that, since it's been pretty cold out the last few weeks, most of the eggs are rather cold like they've been in a refrigerator when we bring them in from outside. We haven't washed them, but is it safe letting them go from being cold to room temperature for days? I just don't want to feed my family potentially spoiled eggs. Does the bloom protect them from such drastic temperature shifts?
Thank you so much

As long as you haven't washed them, the eggs will be fine sitting on your counter for weeks. Your family is very lucky to be getting deviled duck eggs! My husband refuses to eat hard boiled chicken eggs anymore because hard boiled duck eggs are so much creamer he says. He prefers duck eggs over chicken eggs in pretty much everything - I think he'd be fine with never eating chicken eggs again!

To check for rotten eggs, put them in water. In the bad eggs, the liquid has converted to gas, and some of it has escaped. The egg will weigh less and so will float in water.

But a few weeks usually is nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom