Duck Egg Size

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Feb 23, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

OldGal is getting way ahead of the game. We're two weeks away from picking up the quackerettes from Ideal and she's already wondering what we're gonna put the eggs in. Are duck eggs really that much bigger than hen eggs? Will they fit in a regular egg carton?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Most should fit, i admit i have few that get a touch larger.. but for the most part they will... i have eggs everywhere right now! [​IMG]

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    It really depends on the breeds. I have pekins and have had a few eggs here and there that could not fit into a regular large egg carton.

4. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I'd say that they "fit," but if you have a dozen duck eggs in a carton my cartons never close. I always have to rubber band them shut... but it works OK. This is a link that is on Metzers website for duck egg cartons if you are interested. www.eggcartons.com

5. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    My pekin duck eggs won't fit into the ex-large egg cartons but the swedish, harlequin and runner eggs will. So it depends on the breed.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Yep, it depends on the breed. Pekin eggs are quite large and I've never been able to fit them in a carton. My Rouen and Muscovy eggs fit though in the large egg cartons.

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Khaki Campbells?

8. casslarrabee225

casslarrabee225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    I have Khaki's and it might just be cause they are young...but they lay all kinds of different shaped and sized eggs. Some small round ping-pong type eggs then some HUGE double yolked eggs that I can't close the carton up. But I like the rubber band idea. They are not TOO big but I couldn't close the carton on the double yolked ones. You should be fine! [​IMG]

9. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    My girls had a strange assortment for about the first 2 weeks. Now they're fairly uniform.
    [​IMG]

10. casslarrabee225

casslarrabee225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    I took a picture just like that! My big one here all the way to the right was a double yolker. She laid about 10 doubles all together before she got it regulated. lol!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by