Duck Egg Starting To hatch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GeckoChicken, May 15, 2018.

1. GeckoChicken

GeckoChicken In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2018
    Hello! It’s been about 30 days since I put this eeg and the incubator and now it is cracked open and we heard some chirping. Now the chirping has stopped and he has stopped trying to break through. It’s been cracked open for about 10 minutes. Should I help him? This is my first time so please help. Thanks!

2. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    From what I’ve read around the forums, it can take over 24 hours for some ducks to hatch. I’m sure the experts around here will weigh in, but I believe you’ve got plenty of time before you need to worry.

:pop

Golden Brahma 64 likes this.
  3. GeckoChicken

Apr 21, 2018
    Wow! I didnt know that. Thank you!

4. Golden Brahma 64

Golden Brahma 64 Songster

Apr 28, 2018
    Ireland
    I just had some ducklings hatch under mama duck this morning. I’ll post pics when she decides to let me see them :celebrate

5. GeckoChicken

Apr 21, 2018
    Awesome! Ours are being incubated but I’d like to leave them with Mom eventually

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ducks can actually take well over 24 hours, even up to 40 hours from the first pip to the time they fully hatch. DO NOT intervene too soon.

After it pips, it still has a lot of time to absorb the yolk. Helping it out of the shell too soon is usually a death sentence, because the yolk will easily rupture. So hang in there!

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  7. GeckoChicken

Apr 21, 2018
    Thank you so much! He’s starting to chirp some more so I think he’s doing good. I’ll keep everyone posted.

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: