Duck egg ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCRZYness, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I have 8 duck eggs that i collected from my female pekin duck, i believe the dad was a mascovy (ehh) but ne ways i have had them in the incubator for 6 dats now and only 4 of them have the veins and the red dot showing that they are fertile. my ? what is the temp for these guys compared to chickens 101. also what would these things look like? and i guess ill ask one more lol, can they eat baby chick feed when hatched? thanks

2. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    i keep my temp at 99.5 i dont know what they will look like i have never mixed the two breeds. they can eat chick start.
    Good luck

duckman

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They can NOT have medicated starter. That will kill the ducklings.

4. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    yes no medicated but non medicated chick start is fine.

5. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    i will not feed them the medicated chick starter. what would be a good thing to raise them in, a kiddy pool? without water obviously

6. SundownWaterfowl

I think a kiddie pool would be a pretty good brooder. Just make sure that it is a plastic one, not rubber. And have lots of bedding down, so they cant slip on the plastic.

7. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    are they like chickens where just after a few weeks can jump/fly out of the brooder? or can i just leave the top open and not have to put something over it? thanks

8. SundownWaterfowl

How tall would the kiddie pool be?

9. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    scovies have a longer cooking time than other ducks-- they may not hatch-but no harm in trying.

10. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    When you breed a moscovy with a normal duck you are making a hybrid, the babies they reproduce with not be fertile, and you won't be able to breed them. The inucbation time of muscovy cross eggs is 32 days. Good luck with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by