1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Eggs about to go in lockdown (tomorrow), some question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheMallardMan, Oct 26, 2014.

1. TheMallardMan

TheMallardMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Do you need to change the temperatures at all during the hatch? I know you need to raise the humidity to 70% but im not sure if you mess with the temperature or not. How long does it take before you usually start to see one of them pip?
    Plus, I know they dont all hatch at the same time. What happens if one hatches on Tuesday, and another doesnt hatch until thursday? Do I leave the tuesday bird in ther until all of them hatch? How long can a newborn duckling go without food or water?

Very nervous, this is not only my first hatch, but my first time raising poultry :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. TheMallardMan

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Alright, thanks a bunch wish me luck. :D

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yep, best to leave them all in there until they are all out, unless there's a straggler who takes longer. They can go without food or water for up to 3 days (but the sooner they have access to food/water, the better).

Good luck with the hatch! :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  5. TheMallardMan

Sep 29, 2014
    North Carolina, US
    Thanks. I'll start a thread tomorrow for my hatch where i'll post updates and pictures if you want to check it out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by