Duck eggs are driving me ducky!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maralynn28, May 25, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Duck eggs are very popular in Asian cultures and other countries around the world, but not in America. They lost favor to chickens once upon a time but I can't find any info on WHY? Why are duck eggs not so popular, why did they lose favor, and other history!??!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I found lots of duck egg info on the net in the last 2 hrs of researching, but it was mainly nutritional info and recipes. [​IMG]

Anyone know where I can find some info? The library hasn't been much help, the duck egg info they bring back to me is more about incubation.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear they are popular with bakers and with people who have allergies to chicken eggs. I've seen them for sale for 5-6 a dozen here. Doesn't sound unpopular.

I just got ducks so someone else will have to tell you how it works out!

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It is easier to keep chicken in battery production then ducks. Ducks need extra water, produce more poo and cause more cleaning procedures to be implemented. Also chicken need less feed, so they are more economical. I think that was the main reasons. I know in Europe you can find chicken, quail, and duck eggs, even horse milk, in specialty health food stores. Not so much here. People think of duck eggs being dirty and loaded with salmonella. Well we know better. I always like to point out that chickens in battery production are on a constant diet loaded with antibiotic, which will end up in the eggs. They also add dried marigold flower pedals to make the yolk extra healthy orange looking. That does not hurt us, but it shows the extend of the industry to make a sale and make things extra good looking.
    Katharina

4. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Hmm, I would hazzard to guess that chickens were much easier to raise than ducks in the US, & that chickens were probably more prolific egg layers than ducks...

5. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Well, they ARE gaining in popularity but are still not able to buy them in grocery stores etc. Most ppl I know have never even heard it possible to eat duck eggs (myself included until few yrs ago). I want to know why and it is very frustrating to not find any info. I'm sure I am not using the right search phrase or something but not sure what all else I can try other than words like "duck egg history popularity" [​IMG] SO aggravating.

6. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:Thanks Katarina, this is the kind of info I've found (and have been looking for) but it's all just word of mouth. I wish I could find some evidence to support it.
    Best case so far is that it is a fact that ducks don't lay well when stressed (such as in overcrowded conditions) and antibiotics could even prove fatal (which chickens are loaded up on). Which leads to the point you made?
    Also the thing with salmonella, I saw that there was a salmonella scare I think after WWII that dropped popularity in duck eggs, but when I tried to find more info I couldn't find anything.
    Ah well, worst case I'll go with the first thing about mass production because those facts really could be proven. If anyone has any leads though, I'd still really appreciate them.
    Thanks again!!!

7. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I'm going to make duck egg lovers out of this group....lol. [​IMG]

8. Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:heck my hubby didnt even know you could eat chicken eggs! i once kept a lovely pair of oeg bantams in my apartment, i ate their yummy, albeit very small eggs, but not my husband! i would offer but he would say "eww no thank you! that came out of their butt! ill stick to store bought eggs thank you very much!" [​IMG] he knows better now [​IMG]

9. AmyinNC

AmyinNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now THAT is hilarious!!!!

I have tried to do some research as well, but to no avail. Some of my family were saying "you do know you can't eat duck eggs, right?" I quickly let them know that you could indeed. Apparently some false info has been passed down through the ages as well.

10. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by