Duck eggs being hatched by a goose

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nanceann, Feb 2, 2017.

1. nanceann

nanceann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    Amsterdam, MO
    We have a goose who went broody end of December. She had one of her own eggs and a bunch of duck and chicken eggs she was setting. At one time she was over a dozen. A chicken egg hatched but she was too heavy for it. When she was off the nest a few weeks ago I checked the eggs. Her egg felt empty. A couple days later when I went to put them up it was laying in the middle of the room and was completely cold. But she is still setting on the other duck eggs. I went up a while ago and found a dead duckling outside the nest. We think the chickens get to them when she is off the nest. So husband had me bring remaining eggs into the house. They are in a very big deep Tupperware bowl with bedding in front of a space heater. Good news. One egg has a little hole and is peeping.
    So what are the odds out of 10 eggs I can get a few ducklings? Any suggestions? Should I spray them?

2. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    I would date the eggs, then pull the eggs out a day or two before they hatch and put them in a brooder with a heat lamp and heating pad. Not only for the safety of the hatchlings, but also, geese, duck amd chicken incubation times are very different.
    There is no need to moisten the eggs if they are in their last week of incubation, however the eggs will hatch better with high humidity their last days.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. nanceann

nanceann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    Amsterdam, MO
    Thanks. We brought them in yesterday. One was in the process of hatching. Husband helped it a little yesterday. I helped it today. It's in the bathroom with a heater now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by