Duck eggs can be icky!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bock, Feb 24, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I usually have a fried chicken egg from our flock every morning with OJ and a piece of toast. Yesterday, we were out of chicken eggs, and I had been getting a duck egg every other day for 4 days. So, I decided to have a duck egg. I cracked it into the pan, and I was really grossed out. The yolk was a hard green lump, and it wouldn't even spread out in the pan. [​IMG] I know it's wasteful, but I could not bring myself to eat that. I gave it to the dogs. [​IMG] I don't know why it was so gross, I have had duck eggs in the past that were okay. I guess she just ate something different that made the egg thicker and a different color? I know it wasn't rotten, since I look in the nest box every day. I was considering selling duck eggs along with my chicken eggs once I get my egg business off the ground, but I don't want to lose costumers! I have used them for baking and they were great, but that's about all they are good for! [​IMG]

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I've tried eating my duck eggs... got sick. It does have a different consistency than chicken eggs. I've never had a green yolk though [​IMG]
    I use the duck eggs for baking only now.

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    EEWWWW!! [​IMG]

are u sure that it was not an egg that has been around a while...
    i have Muscovys and i have been getting an egg a day from my one hen... i have 1 egg with a big orange X on it so |I don't take it by accident.
    i know the yolks are thicker than a chicken egg but .....
    i have to ask, did you have ham with it ?? [​IMG]

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    We only use them scrambled or in baked goods. Can't have them hard boiled, the protein is just to dense. Educate your shoppers about their excellence in baking. They will get it.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Something very unusual must have happened! Is your duck hiding an illness? Did she eat something weird? Mercy!

My runners give fresh, delicious, normal looking eggs. I don't think they are any better than your duck - no, don't see how that could be. I would be concerned about something wrong in the oviduct that could be hurting your duck.

I reckon anything can come out - uhm, less than perfect from time to time. But that really may mean something needs to be changed.

One person of the many who eat my eggs claimed a stomach upset after eating one. I think anyone can be allergic to anything, and duck eggs have a different mix of vitamins, nutrients and amino acids than chicken eggs.

I eat mine soft boiled, hard boiled, over easy, in omelets, scrambled, and oh, yes, I do cook with them - cornbread and custard.

6. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:lol

I've never heard of a green duck egg yoke. Very strange.
    I love duck eggs though, I like them soft boiled best [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That egg was rotten. There is nothing wrong with FRESH duck eggs, in fact most people can't tell the difference between duck and chicken eggs.

When in doubt, do a float test on eggs. Fill a big bowl with water. If the egg floats, toss it. It is bad.

8. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am pretty sure it wasn't rotten, I check the same spot for an egg every day. [​IMG] They have been eating lots of acorns lately, could that have caused it? I have two more in the fridge right now, so maybe I will try them out again tomorrow. I will be sure to eat it with some ham next time.[​IMG] LOL

9. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:I recall others posting here in the past that they got green yolks when their ducks ate a lot of acorns.

If you're not used to duck eggs the yolk can seem a lot thicker than what you might expect from a chicken egg (at least store bought ones).

10. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Quote:Ah ha!Thats probably why the yolk was green and stuff.Acorns have super bitter tannins in them and the only way to get them out is to boil them at least 5 times.I know this because I make my own acorn flour [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by