1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Eggs - Can I help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Equest94, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    At my work, there was a duck who laid 13 eggs. She was a very dedicated mother, would sit on her eggs through storms, dog encounters, kids trying to pet her, etc... she would not move unless it was to eat. Well, a sad thing happened, she was killed by weasels (minks) and all but 4 eggs were eaten. Some one suggested that "since I have chickens" I should take the remaining eggs and see if they would hatch, so now I have them...

How can I tell if they are still viable? (she was killed overnight, 2 of the 4 eggs were still covered and a bit warm)
    Currently I do not have an incubator... I forced one of my hens to sit on them though.... is there anything I can do?

Sorry, I never hatched a bird...we usually just buy chicks, so this is new to me. [​IMG]

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Watch very carefully if your hen manages to hatch them. Ducks take 28 - 30 days. The hen will know they are not chickens when they hatch and she may kill them.

3. Equest94

May 29, 2007
    New York
    My hen doesn't have very good motherly instincts...she doesn't go broodie which is great for collecting eggs but not great for trying to hatch them, so currently I have her "locked" in her laying area, and she currently is sitting on the eggs, although she isn't very happy at the moment. I hope to find a better alternative to her since I can't keep her locked up for so long....

Is there a way I can tell whether or not the ducklings are still alive in there?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Candle them. Super bright light. Very dark room. Look for movement or shadows moving inside the egg. Shine the light down through the big end of the egg.

5. Equest94

May 29, 2007
    New York
    So my hen decided to go broodie for those duck eggs... she won't sit on hers but he really likes those ones, LOL.

I did candle the eggs and they all seem to be duds (I should've realize that if the weasels ate mom + 9 of the eggs, the ones left over probably weren't very good to begin with).

Well, it took me a good tail grab toosh lift to get those eggs out from under the hen...poor thing is still sitting there guarding her non existent nest.

6. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Slip a few substitute eggs under her and quickly order/buy some hatching eggs. Now's the time to play [​IMG]

7. Equest94

May 29, 2007
    New York
    LOL! That's a great idea.

Poor thing is still sitting there... might as well give her something to hatch now that she's willing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by