Duck eggs day 22 questions

Ren2014

Blessed Beyond Hope
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Texas
I have 10 duck eggs (WH and Pekin/swedish/KC) on day 23 in the incubator. All 10 are active but 6 of them still have clear bottoms. (top being the air sack) And, I have 1 that is completely dark and looks like it could hatch any day. Is it normal to still have clear areas at this stage? Thank you.

Last edited:
No it is not normal. but you are a ways out. they NEED to absorb that clear liquid at the tips and maybe expect them to be a delayed hatch. I would not mist anymore for a bit if that is what you are doing. You def cannot dry hatch with duck eggs, but too muck water can be bad too. If you are seeing movement and veins you will probably be okay.

Last edited:
I would assume they will hatch a bit late, so much liquid. I dry hatch chicken eggs and don't even have a hydrometer just add more water after first pip. Ducks need more water but i don't believe in spritzing.

a pip is not ready to hatch. don't help, also remember that 90% of chicks that pip will hatch, it may be 24 hrs or so after the pip. so excited for you!

Last edited:
I also took it to picmonkey and used their brightening app.

Don't panic, lets panic tomorrow or the next day.

oookk, but geeessss, this is too much. I will just die if the 8 remaining don't make it. I'm occasionally hearing light peeps. It's a very frightening feeling knowing they are in the alive and not knowing if they need help, grrrr. I don't think I like incubating eggs, lol.

It is best if the can get a cap going. He has air, that is what is important. If they can ship a chick across country for 3 days, no food or water,Just air, that chick can sit in it's egg.

Last edited:
If the inner lining turns brown- yank him. go slow though if there is blood as you peel a shell it still has yolk to absorb.

I moistened the inner shell real well before going to bed. Woke up to the little guy hatched and drying off
big_smile.png
wee.gif
The other pip is zipping and I have a third rocking
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom