duck eggs day 24, broke into aircell already? update: hatched day 27!

6littlechickies

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Burton, OH
HI there! I just wanted to ask the duck experts out there if it's normal for eggs to break into the air cell on day 24? I was preparing to lockdown tomorrow and did one last candle today, much to my surprise I can see movement IN the aircell of 4 of the 6. At first I thought I was seeing things but after watching for a few seconds I am pretty sure that is what is going on.

I quickly put them all in the hatching bator and locked it down. If this is normal, does it usually happen around this time or is this early?

These are all mixed breed ducks so I'm not sure if that matters on time to hatch, aren't most of them 28 days (can't recall the one that's longer). This is my first duck hatch, I've done both chickens and quail before though. I haven't seen this before lockdown...saw it a couple times on some late hatching ones so I'm pretty sure of what i saw.

thanks!

Last edited:
I've hatched out about 6 batches of duck eggs this spring/summer and the little overachievers often break out early. With the last batch, on day 24 I went in to check the bator and sure enough, one of the eggs had pipped already. I did the same thing you did, quickly moved them to the hatcher. Usually by day 27 all my duck eggs (that are going to hatch) have hatched.

I usually incubate duck and chicken eggs at the same time and the chicken eggs usually hatch right on schedule.

Good luck with your ducklings... hope you'll post pics when they hatch.

Yes, its normal, mine usually externally pip at day 25 so. Don't expect them to hatch right away though, they usually take 3 days from pip to hatch. It means you got good strong ducklings on the way and I am betting on a good hatch for you!

Yeah, ducks sometimes pip very early. They also seem to have a wider variation in incubation time then other birds. I have regularly had them hatch as early as 26 days or as late as 30 days. The norm, obviously, is between the two. They typically will externally pip 24-48 hours in advance, but they can do so as much as 72 hours in advance. They will quite often pip and then rest for a day or more before they appear to start making progress again.

thanks for the help guys! I feel much better now. whew!

I did have these with chicken eggs for most of the incubation. those eggs hatched this past Friday...4 out of the 5 shipped hatched! I was quite pleased, esp considering they were just 'extras' they threw in with my order.

I'm a bit nervous about these guys, I bought the eggs for my MIL, who just LOVES ducks!
love.gif
They will live with us but be 'hers'. Both her and I are excited to see what till hatch! they could be purebred, but are most likely mixed as the ducks were not separated. Breeds they could be are Pekin, Rouen, Black & White Magpie, Buff Orpington, Cayuga and Blue Swedish!! who knows what we'll get. I'm not familiar with all the breeds but the eggs are all white in color if that helps narrow it down.

Another question, really silly though, I tend to peep at my chicken eggs, do you peep at ducks too or should i quack?! lol
gig.gif

Day 26 here and egg #2 has pipped! WOO HOO!
celebrate.gif

It happened either late lat night or early this morning. So far, this is the only pip. I do hear peeping but can't tell which one(s) it's coming from yet.

pop.gif

oh, this is funny...my 4 yr old DS told me this morning, as I was peeping to them that, 'these are DUCKS mom, you need to quack to them, but very gently!' and then proceeded to show me how to quack in a whisper.
lau.gif

It hatched!!! Egg #2 just hatched!
wee.gif
wee.gif

My DD and I watched it zip along and she saw it pop the top off just as the bus was driving up to the house. She was SOOO excited, she ran right out and told the bus driver that she just watched a duck hatch! LOL, i love my kids!
love.gif

here are some pics of it hatching.
31148_img_0288.jpg

31148_img_0289.jpg

31148_img_0290.jpg

31148_img_0291.jpg

31148_img_0292.jpg

updates to follow as they come...
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom