Duck Eggs Day 26, power outage, what do you think???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by m_herrington, Sep 15, 2008.

1. m_herrington

m_herrington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    So my duck eggs are now on day 26. Out of the initial 24 eggs, I have 2 that have made it this far. So, last night about 8pm the power went off...[​IMG]

The temp dropped to about 78, I went out got some of those little hand warmer thingys and put a few of those in with the eggs, which kept it 85-100 in there getting up every 1.5-2 hours to check and pop in another hand warmer when needed. My power was still not on this morning so I drove the incubator to my aunts house about 20 minutes away and plugged it in there.

What are the odds that my poor little ducks will survive 12 hours without the incubator running? And how bad is it to put them in the car?? I really had no other option... they say the power will be out 2 days to a week![​IMG]

So can I still hold out any hope??

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    :aww You did the best you could.
    I bet they will be fine. I have read about people having this issue before and the eggs still hatching.
    Hope you get your power back on quick! [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

3. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    It's day 22 on some eggs that I've got in the bator that got unplugged not once but TWICE this cycle. And both time the temp dropped to 78 degrees before I realized that it was unplugged. I thought for sure these eggs were goners, but low and behold late last night they started pipping. I had one hatch last night late, one hatch early this morning, one hatched today around lunch time and two more are zipping as we speak. So, I guess my point is, don't give up.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I have heard of many people with outages that had eggs make it. So stay optimistic.[​IMG]

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    You stand a very good chance of all being well [​IMG]

Good luck

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    all should be well. your eggs may be a little delayed, maybe. But they should be fine! [​IMG]
    Don't give up hope! [​IMG]

7. riderken

riderken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    N.W. Mo.
    Have no fear . I will send you a fresh new batch of eggs you will have them in a few days. if you want I will wait till you tell me to send them. I do not want you to get them with out power let me know Ken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by