Duck eggs day 30 and nothing!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allidelgado, Apr 19, 2017.

1. allidelgado

allidelgado New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Hello fellow hatchers!

I would love some advice here. I have 8 duck eggs in my Hova-Bator and today is day 30 (counting the half day we put them in in the afternoon). They all seem healthy and alive. They are moving, rocking, and jerking around. My concern is that there are no noises coming from the eggs, which leads me to think that they haven't internally pipped yet. Do they always chirp after they pip internally? I filled all of my troughs (4 of them) for lockdown 5 days ago. I refreshed the water again yesterday. They have all seemed well, as I said, they are moving around a lot, but shouldn't I be seeing more signs of hatching by now? This is my first time hatching anything, so I know the options for mistakes are many--but if there is still time to help them (seeing that they are all still moving and alive) I would love any advice I can get!
    Thank you!

2. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello allidelago,
    Don't worry about not hearing anything they are preparing to hatch and 32 days for Muscovy's but I am not sure what kind of ducks you are incubating

3. allidelgado

allidelgado New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank you so much for responding! I'm pretty sure they're not Muscovy's. We ordered them from the farm store near by and they people there said they were Runners and Pekkings (sp?). I think that is why there is more concern on my part, seeing that those types of ducks should have hatched by now.

4. JudysMuscovy

If you see movement, they should be ok but it's best to let them hatch on their own. I know it's hard to not want to help, lockdown usually starts once you see the internal pip. Then you do not want to open up the incubator. Keep the humidity up once they pip and they will be fine

5. JudysMuscovy

Oh good luck and‚Äčlet us know if and when they hatch

6. allidelgado

allidelgado New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank you! Any advice on adding humidity? I have just been following directions from what the pet store gave me, and filled all 4 of my incubator troughs. Is that enough? It's not a high tech incubator in that I can read the humidity levels, so I'm not sure what it's at. The little glass windows on the top do have some condensation around the outsides.

7. JudysMuscovy

It's ok to have condensation, that's what you want do you not have a thermometer with the humidity so you can tell what it's at?

8. allidelgado

allidelgado New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    I have a thermometer, but not with humidity. It's pretty basic, unfortunately. I am guessing though that keeping those troughs full is what will keep humidity right? I sure hope so---I was expecting fluffy feathers but now!

9. JudysMuscovy

Yes but if you filled them already I would just check the eggs to see if any have internally pipped, if not hold off on the water, I keep low humidity until they have internally pipped. I do the same for chickens as well as ducks. You should get yourself a thermometer that has humidity on it so you know what's happening

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I lock down my Duck eggs as required and up the Humidity to 60%.....I have a Hovabator too....I only fill the two chambers at lock down....I never remove the lid till they start hatching....;)....

Hmmmm?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by