duck eggs for baking?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birdman18, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Hi,
    I like to bake often and heard that duck eggs are better to use than chicken eggs, is there a way i could get duck eggs or order them, Maybe there is someone who could send me some eggs for baking?

Thanks!!

2. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    They are good for baking cakes mostly as they make them spongier and the cake will shrink less. You could try craigslist for duck eggs. Localharvest.org might be able to help you find people in you area who have duck eggs or people that will ship. Metzer farms ships duck eggs but I'm not sure how much that costs. Then of course you could get your own ducks. If you purchase ducklings in february, you'd have your own supply of eggs by mid-summer/early fall.

3. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying!

I wasn't sure about buying duck eggs from the hatcheries since their fertilized and may not be suited for human consumption or am i wrong? , but i'll try metzer farms. I was thinking about getting ducks but i live around close neighbors so i couldn't get the noisey breeds, but maybe muscovy ducks would be ok i do have doves, quails, and a few pheasants.

4. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Fertile are still usuable for baking...
    I got my Welsh Harlequins from Metzers mid May.. They started laying by end of September. Their eggs make fantastic cakes, brownies, belgian waffles, pancakes and chocolate chip cookies. also are good scrambled with a little milk and cheese...

5. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:Hi,
    Oh ok thanks so much [​IMG] !

I'm going to look for a place to purchase a few eggs to see if i like them. I bet though that they would be great for baking.

6. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by