Duck Eggs - good eatings?

Stella1964

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Ontario Canada
Hi folks, can someone try to describe the taste of a duck egg, as compared to a chicken egg? Would my fussy kids and husband notice a significant difference?

Also, how often do ducks lay eggs?

My husband says that hard boiled (we actually steam them) duck eggs are ten times better than our chicken eggs! I personally would not know, because he always manages to get them all eaten before I come along. But he says they are sweeter and more creamy.

As far as frying them up, my duck eggs remind me of the taste of store bought chicken eggs. I have used them to bake angel food cake, and they work great - fluff right up.

Overall, I prefer fresh chicken eggs myself, but duck eggs are good too.

The number of eggs they lay depends on the breed. My ducks lay on average about 300 eggs per year.

Last edited:
If you were to substitute a duck egg, 99% of people wouldn't even notice... except for maybe noting the egg is a large one.

I know some bakers seek duck eggs for certain recipes. I'm not sure if there's any truth to it. I personally don't sell my duck eggs. I turn them all into more ducklings and then sell them along for meat or breeding.

Most breeds of ducks (and all waterfowl) are seasonal layers during the winter months. So, it's not a matter of age of the hen, but of the season. However, there are some breeds who will lay all winter than keep going through the summer (Khaki Campbell springs to mind).

3 of my 4 Appleyards have stopped laying now as of May, so I'm done incubating ducks for the year.

If some ducks can lay up to 300 eggs a year
ep.gif

and then some only lay seasonally ...

my next question is, how many do they lay per day, roughly, or are they like chickens, only one per day or so...?

thanks for the responses

Quote:
Just one per day as far as I can tell.

My Indian runner is an egg laying machine and is turning into a good brooder. My rouens ladies seem to be every other day kind of layers and lately I find very few eggs (although they could be hiding them well). My runner is still laying eggs even though she is broody.

Back to taste, they taste yolkier to me, probably because the yolks are bigger. They sure make cakes rise higher though.

my DH became allergic to the whites very quickly (I suspect he must have tended that way already) but can eat the yolks and still can eat whole chicken eggs (so far.)

I have no problem with either.

I've seen this a few times in this forum and can't figure it out, so I have to ask. Pardon my on-line lingo shortcomings, but what does "DH" mean??

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom