Duck eggs hatching early. Need advice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cochinfan05, Aug 3, 2013.

1. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    My black cochin has been on 4 runner duck eggs for 23 days. Today while checking on her I noticed 2 had pipped. I was shocked. Not only is it early bit one has blood around the hole. What should I do? I automatically went in the house and fired up the bator but I don't know if I should interfere or not. She's worked so hard for these babies we'll both be heart broken if none hatch properly.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They'll be okay. They can hatch early if they're kept over 99.5 degrees. I've had duck eggs pip before lockdown (day 25) before when I've incubated. If they're pipping they're ready and they're gonna hatch. The hen will take care of it for you :)

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    here is my 2 ducks with my bantam cochin. she is a good mom.

4. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Thank you so much. I have a tendency of over thinking the situation when I should just let nature take its course. What about the blood though?

5. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    I candled the egg and the pip isn't in the air cell. I have one guinea hen in my flock that refuses to stay in the pen. She occasionally lays an egg in the nest. Could she have pecked the egg creating the hole that I assumed was a pip or do you think the duckling is just positioned incorrectly?

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    when a chick pecks the wrong end there could be blood. sounds like the guinea might have gotten to it. if it is opened the egg may become open season, some times momma hens will eat their own eggs too. do you have an incubator you can use?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Yeah I had it going just in case. If have it in there with lots of sponges and a moist paper towel tented over it. Sound okay?

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    good luck. be ready to put more eggs in there if the hens get hungry again.

9. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Unfortunately the egg didn't make it. By this morning it was oozing and stinky. Very disappointing since I could feel it pecking and moving when I brought it in. The other 3 are still under "mom" and seem to be doing good. One has pipped externally and I can hear pecking and chirping from all. When should I start seeing some real action? I've heard duck eggs take a bit longer.

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would not worry about it too much and just let what ever happens happen. I the momma hen raising them or are you going to take over when they hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by