Duck eggs hatching Slooooooow!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SueNH, Apr 30, 2008.

1. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I started with 2 dozen shipped duck eggs, put in some chicken eggs a week later.
    I had 4 chickens hatch last week. The rest.. shipped eggs, sometimes it happens.

Weeded out the dud duck eggs and the ones that died along the way. I was left with about half when it came down to the wire. Nothing hatched. I candled a final time after a few days just to be sure I wasn't discarding something good and could see movement in one. He was just breaching the air cell. I put all the dark inside eggs back and got the humidity back up. Nothing happened for 2 days and then I noticed a pip. Was really staring inside thinking it was composter time for the eggs. A duck finally hatched. I left in there for nearly 2 days. Nothing happening with the others. Figured I leave the bator going two more days just in case. Next day towards bedtime I noticed another pip. Another duck has made it. I now have another one just starting this morning.

I have never had a hatch so maddeningly slow! Any ideas what gives?

Incubator is a 1588 or maybe a 1590. Tag has worn off and I don't remember. Big picture window with preset thermostat. Temps and humidity are fine. Been running it a tad moist now that the chicken eggs are out.

Are ducks always this staggered? I've only hatched a few before this. I'm slowly going insane with the waiting. Just when I think it's over I see another start. By rights this hatch should have been compost last week even giving a few extra days for slowpokes.

Not complaining. I need ducks. My whole flock was wiped out by a mink earlier this spring. A flock of 12 made a noticeable dent in the biting bugs last year.

2. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Hey Sue-
    No expert here but I had 3 duck eggs hatch out of 3. One a week prior to the others (day 30 and 2 full days pipping), the other 2 were due the same day, one came on day 28 and one on day 30. All 3 hatched dreadfully slow, the last one even taking 3 days to pip, zip and get here. All were fine and healthy. Ducks are painfully slow for some reason in my one time experience. It's maddening especially when you have a chicken hatch from pip to finish in an hour! I had one do that last night and was like, whoa nelly!
    Ducks are awesome, till they are a week old and wicked messy, so beware. But worth it, especially when they nibble your chin (little love bites) and snuggle in your neck.
    -Kathy

3. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    I wasn't going to make one lone duckling live his babyhood alone so he's in with the chicken chicks. Now there are 2. 3 is still chipping away but progressing. No signs of any others yet. If they follow suit I guess I won't see anything for a day or so.

Last year I hatched 4 or 5 more on a whim than anything else. The mess from a few is manageable. I've long ago crossed the critter mess threshold. It's just part of what I do now. Automatic.

Last year I had a young duck raised with chicken chicks. She did eventually figure out that she was a duck but every night she would round up her chicken hatch mates and wouldn't go in until everybody was accounted for. Was obvious concern on her part when the growing hens started sleeping with the other chickens. You could almost see her look up to the perches and do a head count. If she didn't see anybody she would circle the pens and coops and search. She would often come to me voicing her concern. I have no doubt she was counting her friends. Miss that duck. darn Mink.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    This is my first time hatching ducks. I have silver appleyards going. I hatched 2 small batches of geese and that was grueling! I always get to the end and worry like crazy they won't hatch. This batch of duck eggs I know will be a real nail biter compared to everything else I have going right now.

5. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    Number 3 is out! Another Cayuga.

Not holding much hope for the runner eggs. Only 2 in there but I may be surprised. This whole hatch has been something else.

Nothing more visible. I never expected it to be so different from the chickens.

I've got a goose sitting on eggs in one of the barns. Hope she does ok. She's real young. Last years baby. She's been sitting pretty tight.

6. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    You need to post pics! [​IMG]

My ducks are making really slow progress right now, but I did just get a glimpse of a beak !

Do you whistle at yours? Ive been sitting there whistling at them and saying "Here ducky ducky, c'mon ducky"
    I like to believe I am encouraging them, lol. [​IMG]

7. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    Still holding at 3 with nothing more to be seen.

Back off I go. Can't stand it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by