duck eggs Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bradybrady09, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    Okay i have been hatching chicken eggs for about 10 years im great at that but friday im going to be trying duck eggs now i know its much different and i just need some advice on how to do it i have two incubators so i was going to put some chicken eggs in with them but should i just incubate them alone?? grrr im stressed anyone?

~Drew~

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Duck eggs can be a bit tricky and it took me a few batches to get the hang of it. If you can incubate them alone it's better than with chicken eggs as they prefer a little higher humidity - about 55-60%- and this could effect you chicks. It seems like as soon as the first one hatches your humidity will jump really fast as they start drying. I have incubated them together but I never plan for them to hatch at the same time. The humidity gets way to high for hatching chicks and causes problems. Other than that it's the same temp and everything. 28 days for incubation (except muskovies). You have to be patient after they pip because they seem to take FOREVER to zip.
    Good luck - and be prepared because ducklings make a mess with everything! It's a good thing they are cute [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:My 1st time incubating i did duck eggs, i started with 8. 3 werent fertile, 1 gave up and 4 made it! =O) I also had a chicken egg in there to see if it would hatch and it did. Humidity was in the 70's the whole time. I dont get the "drowning" the chick thing.... I poked a small hole in the air sac and there was no water or anything build up (wonder if im confused about the drowning thing). Anyway, all you can do is do it yourself, try it. Good luck!!!!!

p.s. i use a still air, with no egg turner. i had to add wet sponges and a few extra water bowls

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  4. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Quote:My 1st time incubating i did duck eggs, i started with 8. 3 werent fertile, 1 gave up and 4 made it! =O) I also had a chicken egg in there to see if it would hatch and it did. Humidity was in the 70's the whole time. I dont get the "drowning" the chick thing.... I poked a small hole in the air sac and there was no water or anything build up (wonder if im confused about the drowning thing). Anyway, all you can do is do it yourself, try it. Good luck!!!!!

p.s. i use a still air, with no egg turner. i had to add wet sponges and a few extra water bowls

I have been thinking here in Arizona we can get away with the higher humidity in the bator, because we have no humidity in the rooms!

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    put them together just mist the duck eggs twice a day with warm water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by