~*Duck eggs..I heard peeping in them just 2 days ago*~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by neener92, Jun 18, 2010.

1. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    I heard peeping in these two egg just 2 days ago...now they are off colored and silent. Are they still alive? :[

Here are some pictures of the two eggs when I candled them......
    Egg #1 [​IMG]
    Egg #2 [​IMG]

Here is a picture I took after I candled them...you can see they are a weird color they weren't this color the other day....the other eggs are some chicken eggs I was candling too.......
    [​IMG]

2. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I'm not very experienced but the eggs turning colors doesn't sound good, when were they due to hatch?

3. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    I had about 11 eggs one hatched 2 days ago and the other 4 hatched today the rest of the eggs look about like the 2 in the picture.

4. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I'm not sure if it would be the right thing to do, but if it were me & with them turning colors, I would tap a hole in the shell where the air cell is. After that if I couldn't tell anything I would open the membrane just a hair to see if I could tell what was going on in there...

5. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    Would this hurt the babies if they are still alive?

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    No. If they have been incubating 3 weeks, it should not hurt them.

The hole will make sure they don't use up all their oxygen by staying in there extra long.

However, I would only do a small hole so egg shell contents don't dry out too quickly--if that happens, the chick can get stuck to the membrane plus the shell can become hard to break through when it's really dry. It would be a good idea to increase the humidity by increasing wet surface areas in incubator by putting some wet paper towels in the corners of your incubator or something like that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    I poked a hole in one of the eggs and found that the duckling had poked through the air sac and was already dead :[

8. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    In the egg if you see movement leave it if not look for liquid moving around by rolling the egg
    They can hatch up too 7 days late depending on how they were stored
    Were there any pips in the eggs
    Also if the egg looks like a greyish kinda nasty on the outside they are probably not good
    If you tap a hole smell it you can tell dead or alive for sure then
    Some chicks/ducklings just dont make it past lock down (have no answer for that it happens [​IMG]
    I do not recommend tapping holes in eggs but it may be neccesary sometimes to save a life just make sure all options are exhausted first

9. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    They were all dead :[ One had a deformed beak and clubbed foot. The others don't seem to have any abnormalities that I can see. Could it be because they are mules? But out of "the mules" I had five to hatch successfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by