Duck eggs in maine?

BuddyT

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
I Love ducks... and would love to have a duck egg farm. But im not sure if Maine/surrounding areas have enough of a market...
Are there any Mainers out there? does anyone know?

Hhhmmmm? What do you mean a "egg farm"? Like a duck farm that sells fertile duck eggs. Or eating eggs?

You could sell them at Farmer's Markets. I live in ME and there are Farmer's Markets all over the place spring thru fall. I would imagine if you marketed properly you could find some places to sell them. I never have a problem giving mine away. I will only bake with them, I hate they way they smell and taste when scrambling or frying them.

There are many chefs & bakers in Portland who would probably purchase them from you, if you don't have enough / time to hit the farmer's markets.
As for the public in Maine, I get the sense many people here who want fresh eggs of any kind typically have their own flock. I see far fewer people selling eggs than I did when I lived in New Hampshire, and way more people with chickens, geese and ducks than when I lived in N.H. as well.
(New Hampshire is just not as hip as Maine.)

I was think primarily eating eggs. BUT I would also like to sell fertile ones. and chicks to people.
Do you think that I could ship eating eggs to NH/Mass? I was thinking larger scale because i know profit with small scale is really out of the question. Arn't there hippies out there who live in cities and want fresh organic free ranged eggs? haha.

Well, there is at least one large city in Maine and those residents probably buy their eggs.

I do not think that ducks are well suited to a large scale egg farm. Not the size of egg farm that you could make money with. They don't live well in battery cages like the egg farm chickens do.

If you have show winning birds, you can sell hatching eggs by mail, all over the country. But I suspect that the number of buyers are somewhat limited and wouldn't support a large egg farm.

To be honest I wouldnt be able to put them in battery cages. Those places are gross!! i could only imagine what DUCKS would do in one...

We had a thread last week that talked about getting your eggs "out there". I threw out there that Metzer lets you post your information on his page as an egg seller if you bought your birds from him, and someone else suggested posting flyers at allergists offices (with permission) because people with chicken egg allergies don't usually have an allergy to duck eggs, so there's ways, you just need to be entrepreneurial minded enough to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom