Duck eggs in pumpkin pie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HappySlappyDuckfeet, Nov 22, 2011.

1. HappySlappyDuckfeet

HappySlappyDuckfeet Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    Okay if the recipe calls for 4 chicken eggs how many duck eggs should I use...?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:2 or 3. Depends on how big your eggs are.

3. Sara66

Sara66 New Egg

Jul 23, 2011
    My duck's eggs are almost twice the size of my largest chicken eggs. I am baking pumpkin pie tonight, I will post with my results! I think I will use 3 duck eggs, since I was wanting to add an additional yolk anyway to make a nice rich pie. :)

4. HappySlappyDuckfeet

HappySlappyDuckfeet Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    My chicken eggs are 1.8 oz (or very close to it) and the duck eggs I would use are 2.11 oz on average. I guess that means I should use 3 if the recipe calls for 4 chicken?

5. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a question as well but not about pie. How long do you boil duck eggs? Same as chicken eggs? I was going to make deviled eggs tonight and I wasn't sure if anyone had a fool proof boiling time so they come out just right!? [​IMG]

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    WARNING!! Maybe use less of the whites and more of the yolks? Or, scramble the backyard eggs, in a measuring cup, and remove 25%?

Everytime I bake with my backyard eggs, I remember AFTER the poufy fluffed up version of baking comes out of the oven, that backyard eggs have stiffer, poofier albumen! I swear I could plaster a house with meringues from backyard eggs. Muffins turn into popovers. Cakes are ridiculously high. Breads are more like FLUFF.

Thanks for the reminder; I plan on making pumpkin pie today for Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll do two, and compare one with store eggs and one with equal backyard eggs?

7. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Here is a thread on steaming the eggs rather than boiling. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=595163
    Works
    much better IMHO

As to the whole pumpkin pie thing...recipes are just general guidelines for cooking. It seems I always modify the recipe every time I cook/bake. Makes it more exciting [​IMG] Sometimes the recipe works out, sometimes not. The more you experiment the better idea you'll have as to what will work. Following the recipe every time would be so boring.

I made a pumpkin pie that called for two eggs with two duck eggs. One of the duck eggs was a double yolker so I probably had a 3 egg equivalent. Turned out fine, tasted normal and looked liek pumpkin pie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by