Duck eggs make me sick to my stomach. Anyone else experience this?

cedavid2012

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
NE OH
This is our first year with ducks. We love having them and they are laying great. Over the last 3-4 weeks every time I eat duck eggs, within an hour I feel nauseated and have actual pain in my stomach. They are always thoroughly cooked. It is now even happening with baked goods that I have used duck eggs in. The rest of my family is not affected. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

There are several threads on this forum that address this. I had a similar problem. So did my DH. But it did not present right away. After eating duck eggs for a few months,al of the sudden I was having stomach problems after eating them. I took a month off of them and went back to chicken eggs. Slowly I re-introduced ducks eggs, making a few changed to feed and storage, and have been fine ever since. If you have never shown an allergy to eggs, and you have checked their feed to make sure that there is nothing in there that you may be allergic to (soy, corn etc) look to other explinations: Be extra mindful of bacterial contamination.
Ducks are much messier than chickens, or really any fowl that I have ever encountered. No matter how much straw I put down in their pen, the eggs get rolled around and get poopie.

1) Wash your eggs well, in running water that is at least 20 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature of the egg.

2) Do not put unwashed eggs and washed eggs in the same carton. Use only fresh clean containers for washed eggs.

3) Keep washed eggs in a clean/ uncontaminated container in the fridge.

4) If you do not wash your eggs till you are ready to eat them (ie store them on the counter) that's great, just be mindful of xcontamination till those eggs are washed and ready to use all surface are potential tummy irritants

it seems extra extra extra attention to detail was the key to my duck egg tolerance. Whodathunk?

I wish you luck. There really is nothing quite like a fresh duck egg!

Hi, my husband is allergic to our duck eggs also. I am fine with them; and I am the one with the sensitive stomach, go figure??? He can eat them if I bake with them, but not hard boiled or fried. I have 11 ducks who are laying; I have alot of duck eggs. I have given them to the neighbors along with my chicken eggs and they dont care for them either? I will try to find buyers for them, on-line. Thanks for sharing cedavid2012

Like others, this is our first year. And just a couple of weeks ago, the girls started holding up their end of the bargain. Last week we had the opportunity to try our first duck egg! Yummy is all I can say. A more creamy taste and texture. I'm sorry for anyone who has a negative reaction or experience with duck eggs and am especially thankful I can consume what our animals produce.

Troy & Tina

Hi, my husband is allergic to our duck eggs also. I am fine with them; and I am the one with the sensitive stomach, go figure??? He can eat them if I bake with them, but not hard boiled or fried. I have 11 ducks who are laying; I have alot of duck eggs. I have given them to the neighbors along with my chicken eggs and they dont care for them either? I will try to find buyers for them, on-line. Thanks for sharing cedavid2012

You could always feed them back to your hens or other animals.

I have an Aunt that raises a mixed flock of pet ducks. She's allergic to eggs so she scrambles them up for her dogs.

My hens like hard boiled eggs mashed with the shell still on. It's a special treat for them.

You could always feed them  back to your hens or other animals.  

I have an Aunt  that raises a mixed flock of pet ducks. She's allergic to eggs so she scrambles them up for her dogs.

My hens like hard boiled eggs mashed with the shell still on.  It's a special treat for them.

Hi, I do feed them back to my ducks, chickens and dogs also. thanks for the idea. I am going to try hatching a few and if they hatch I will cull them for our freezer/dinner.

Thank you to all who responded. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I have been feeding the duck eggs back to my mixed flock. I found a buyer for most of the ducks and will just keep a few as pets. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom