DUCK EGGS NEED HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ozark hen, May 19, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have a mallard hen sitting on some eggs which I think belong to the muscovies. Not the color she always laid.
    Now I think we are into week 4..not real sure..and I just went out to check on her and the eggs. The eggs have visibly changed. Almost like I can see the duckling curled up inside. Kind of weird, almost see through. Is this normal? I stole five of them and put them in the incubator with lots of water. Now what? Are they about to hatch? I read where some folks were misting them? I never hatched eggs before so I could use some help here please? I put a sponge in the bator and pored about a cup of hot water into the bottom of the 'bator.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't mist them. Muscovy take 35 days to incubate. It is a long wait for those. I would have waited to let the mallard hatch them. Ducks do it better than we can.

If the ducklings are not pure bred they will be stertile. I have always been told a muscovy cross is a mule duck and not fertile.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thank you Miss P.
    Edited to add:
    I took your advice and returned them to the duck. Too soon for me to be grabbing them. I am not sure that these eggs belong to her...I know for sure the guinea egg doesn't LOL These eggs were a different color so I am suspecting they belong to the muscovies but I could be wrong. Infertile muscovie eggs can be a good thing. LOL I hear they multiply worse than rabbits? I have nine muscovies now and two mallard hens. Something happened to my drake one day. I miss seeing him take off with the hens following him and making huge circles around the place before coming back. The hens don't fly around anymore sad to say.

Last edited: May 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by