Duck eggs non stop in kiddie pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mk.mom.13, Jul 10, 2019 at 8:18 PM.

1. Mk.mom.13

Mk.mom.13 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2018
    I have two Pekin hens and a Pekin drake. One of my Pekin hens has been broody for approximately 6-10 weeks now and something keeps getting her eggs, I check ALL day with no luck of the culprit so I’m buying a trail cam this weekend. Lol sorry off subject anyhow! My non broody Pekin hen only lays her eggs in the kiddie pool (it’s a larger one) are they still ok to eat?? I check every day (since something’s been coming around we don’t get eggs daily anymore but I still check daily) I’m just wondering if they’re still ok to eat.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I wouldn’t. Egg shells are porous to allow gas exchange for a developing duckling. So, being in poopy duck water could allow bacteria in the egg.
    Do you lock your ducks in at night? If not, you might want to want to (without a kiddie pool). Most (but not all) ducks lay their eggs in the morning and can be kept in their pen until they do. It might stop the egg predation as well.

3. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    It all depends on how long the egg was laying in the pool and when you want to eat it.
    I have found eggs in the pool right after i cleaned it out and filled it with fresh water, so they were in there for less than an hour and i boiled them the same day. In general it is very difficult to catch any kind of infection from (hard) boiled eggs, even if those have been in the pool for days. However the taste may be a different story… :sick

Mk.mom.13 likes this.
  4. Mk.mom.13

Mk.mom.13 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2018
    They’re pool is inside their pen with them but the only hen laying just kinda lays whenever. I used to get 2-3/day from the two Pekin girls but since the ones gone broody and something’s been getting her eggs I hardly ever get eggs anymore lol and when I do their in the pool...but ya I haven’t been eating them due to the water, I am hoping they’ll stop doing this at some point lol

5. Mk.mom.13

Mk.mom.13 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2018
    Ya I caught the snake but it got it...go figure. I’ve been looking for weeks now and I always check a few time in the morning, a few times in the afternoon and several times in the evening and night. Never had luck till the other day, which it got out after eating two eggs then yesterday it came back and ate 5 eggs. I’m thinking at this point my girl is never going to get off that nest and lay eggs again until she hatched something.

6. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    Aren’t ducks funny by laying anywhere they please? My girl would lay in her pool all the time! I personally didn’t eat them, as their water is always filthy. I hope you can find a solution soon!

Mk.mom.13 and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  7. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Have you tried to build a nest in the bedding and place a fake egg in that? - It helped a lot with my runner ducks last year.

Mk.mom.13 likes this.
  8. Mk.mom.13

Mk.mom.13 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2018
    My broody hen is sitting on her nest ..something keeps getting her eggs so she’s sitting on gold balls right now lol but she hasn’t laid an egg for a while but the non broody hen doesn’t go in the nest she just kinda lays her eggs in the pool lol

9. Duckydelight

Duckydelight In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2019
    I am not totally sure if Quackers is a girl, but how old are when they start to lay eggs?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

4 months an up.

Duckydelight likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: