Duck eggs not hatched?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by preggochick, Jan 1, 2013.

1. preggochick

preggochick New Egg

Mar 18, 2010
    I was given five duck eggs by a local farmer to hatch for myself. The farmer was unsure of the breed of ducks he had, however with a little research I think they are Pekin. I candled them throughout the month and saw a difference each time. Temp and humidity are good, but today is the 28th day and nothing. Anyone else have birds like this that are slow to hatch/move about? My previous experience is with chickens and quail so I am impatient, lol!

2. atikin

atikin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    I hatched some pekin duck eggs not long ago, they hatched 4 DAYS EARLY!!!! was a bit of a shock, but dont worry to soon , I have had chicks that hatched 3 days late so hopefully there is still time

good luck :)

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]
    Duck eggs from mallard derived breeds take 26-29 days to incubate. Also they take 24-48 hours to hatch and exit the egg. As long as you are sure they aren't muscovy (which take longer).

Maybe post some of your specifics. I don't use an incubator but I do know that temp and humidity are different for ducks than chickens.

Good luck.

4. preggochick

preggochick New Egg

Mar 18, 2010
    I know the temp is 99.5. I don't have a humidity device, but I have kept the humidity higher the last few days. Guess I better get one. Never had any trouble before. Still no changes this morning. Thinking I will check them later, listen for chirping, look for movement?

5. preggochick

preggochick New Egg

Mar 18, 2010
    I guess I did something wrong. I candled the eggs laying on a dark towel and there are air pockets on both ends. You can clearly see there was a good progression at some point in four of them but I did something wrong somehow. I am really bummed, never had a completely failed hatch before. I used a turner and took them out at 25 days. Any ideas on what may have gone wrong would be helpful. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by