Duck Eggs on Day 7, Questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SterlingAcres, Aug 15, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    These are Pekin/Mallard mixes and had an awful trip up from AL. They're now on Day 7 and I'm wondering what I should be seeing while candling. I know they develop slower, but I have 3 semi clears, 1 blood ring looking thing and one that's a darker cloudy with possibly some veining. That was just shining a flashlight onto then while turning, I haven't taken them out to candle.

I've searched online and I keep finding chicken and turkey embryo development pages, but nothing on ducks, believe it or not.

Would anyone happen to have pictures of dead and live duckling embryos at Day 7ish? [​IMG]

Thanks so much.

2. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I am wanting to know the same thing. My ducks are possibly sitting on eggs and I need to know what they should look like after about a week...

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Oooh congrats [​IMG] I hope we get an answer.

4. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Thanks! me tooo!!!

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    day 7 you should see a little red spider with veins going out all around. Actually duck eggs are easier to candle than chicken, the shells are more easy to see through.

6. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I've found turkey embryo pix that were half the size of a chicken embryo at 7 days. Shouldn't ducks be smaller and harder to see as well? I know the shells are thinner, but it should be like candling a thin shelled chicken egg on day 3, shouldn't it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by