1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck eggs pipped 36 hours ago...normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Irajoe, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Never had duck eggs in the incubator before...is it normal for them to take 2 - 3 days to hatch? Humidity is in the mid 60s.

Thanks!

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

For ducks that may be a bit low-not an expert here by any means but you may want to check and see if they're still alive in there. They may have pipped and then dried out the membranes and can't finish getting out or they've died while struggling to break through the membrane.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mine took 2 - 3 days. I just thought mine were slackers [​IMG]

4. Irajoe

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Thanks.

Any advice on how to help them get out of shells.

I've read that you wrap the egg in warm, damp paper towels and proceed slowly...stopping if removing the membrane causes bleeding.

Sound right?

5. Irajoe

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    That's encouraging.

I did remove one that had managed a pip...but its bill was crossed...I don't think it could ever have gotten out.

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I know my duck egg shells are super tough, and I've had some where the ducklings have pipped (can you call it pipping when it leaves a huge gaping hole? lol) and then rested, and been unable to get the rest of the way out because the membrane has dried. I cracked the shell around with light pressure so it made a circle from the hole they made, and depending on how bad the membrane was, sometimes I've ripped the membrane partway, then I put the baby back in the bator and see if they can get out on their own. Most have. I had to help one out completely because there was some blood in the sack (it was weird), and it dried hard as a rock. That ducky is doing well though he's smaller than the rest of the group. I used a cup of warm (100-110 degree--warm to the touch, but not too hot ) water and slowly worked the membrane off of the duck, then popped him back in the bator to dry and rest up until he was running around, then added him to the brooder.

Helping them out is not advised if there is any other choice, but 9 times out of 10, they seem to do okay if I help them when they are seriously in distress. Remember, last resort only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by