Duck eggs pipping...too early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OzarkCountryGirl, Apr 20, 2009.

1. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I have Welsh Harlequin duck eggs in my home made 'bator that are due to hatch on the 23rd. However they are pipping now! [​IMG] Two eggs so far have cracks and every so often the eggs jump and the cracks get a little bit bigger.

I'm worried about the humidity as it's only been between 45-50% on any given day and while I've tried to increase it with sponges soaking wet in a tray of water (have 3 sponges in there now), it just won't get any higher. [​IMG] So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything all works out in the end.... [​IMG]

My daughter and I are going stay up until they hatch. But that's ok...we are used to staying up all hours when our Fainting goats have their babies. : )

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I usually figure they know the best time to get out [​IMG]

Come on over to the "who's hatching ducks, hatch with us" thread, lots of great advice there - it's an ongoing thread it seems, it has a life of it's own, now. (in this section, just up a little higher in the listings)

I'm currently watching geese eggs pipped (well one pipped so far).

My humidity isn't a problem, and I'm not very experienced at duck hatching, but a lot of folks there are - you'll get a quick answer.

meri

3. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    I saw someone post not too long ago that their duck eggs hatched 5 days early. . . so maybe ducks aren't as predictable as chickens.

Edited to say: I sure hope my duck and goose eggs hatch early! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. OzarkCountryGirl

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Mojo Chick'n :

I'm currently watching geese eggs pipped (well one pipped so far).
    meri

Wonderful! But isn't this waiting the hardest part?! [​IMG]
    Headed over to the "hatching ducks thread" now..... [​IMG]

5. OzarkCountryGirl

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Quote:5 days? Wow...I thought mine were early at 3...not that I'm complaining. [​IMG]
    What kind of ducks and geese are you hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by