duck eggs quit??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by klf73, Jul 3, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had 4 cayuga eggs that were on day 25, getting ready to put in hatcher and they all quit [​IMG] I had checked them on day 22 and all 4 were moving and alive. they were shipped eggs and I had a dozen but the others quit before day 7. I still have eggs that were set later in the bator but decided to just order ducklings [​IMG] Are duck eggs really that hard to hatch?

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I just had some Runner eggs that hatched last week and only got 3 ducklings out of 10 eggs.
    2 of the ducklings were SO close to pipping the outer shell. The others didn't absorb their yolks and were all dead and they were fully formed.

Next time I hatch duck eggs, I will need to go in earlier and get those ducklings out!

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yes they are much different than chickens especially fragile when shipped. thought all were clear though? LOL someone elses I guess?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:yeah, the ones i got from you got here on the 10th, these got here on the 8th from heavenly farms(sebrightmom, I think...I think they are from the daughter)....I also have some from farmrgirl in there, set on july 1st...maybe something will hatch [​IMG]
    btw- they were all clear, I am an honest person [​IMG] I got the ones from you to diversify if I got the others to hatch....

I got them on the 24-hr thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6592628#p6592628 post #5663 [​IMG]

and if nothing hatches at least I ordered some cayuga and choc runners from metzer....dh said it was a no brainer...wish he said something earlier [​IMG]

eta- I still have a few in the bator from that second group from you [​IMG] I just don't like to put all my chickens...errr ducks, in one basket [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I got ya, I do the same thing, was just wondering, you know how some folks can be, LOL
    I figured when you said 12 it was from other peoples, the time line was pretty close though HAHA

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I know, I have friends that have been bamboozled....actually it was 9 or 10 not 12....forgot it was for 8+ [​IMG]

7. Emma909

Emma909 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I think they are harder to hatch if you get them in the mail. good choice on getting ducklings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by