1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck eggs seem too small this year

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by texasturtle, Mar 10, 2015.

1. texasturtle

texasturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    I think something is wrong with my ducks eggs. This year they are all laying small eggs. My Reds are laying bigger eggs than my ducks. I feed my babies layer pellets and fresh greens. Not getting very successful hatch rate in incubator either. Out of 7 eggs only one was successful. Four of them were backwards and 2 just couldn't make it out. That was last week. This week out of 3 eggs seems like 1 may make it but the other 2 already died. One of them was a black Swedish (don't know chances of getting another one) .But I keep trying.

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    One of the first things I would do is get a fecal sample in to a vet, have them look for parasites or pathogens.

I would get them on once or twice a week, vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics.

I would check the feed - sometimes the pre made feeds are missing something. Rare, but it happens. Contact the manufacturer, give them the lot number.

What breed of duck do you have, what has the weather been like? Are the shells soft? Any signs of difficulty laying like tail bobbing, that far-away look in the eye, sitting down very often?

What has changed?

3. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    Only thing that is different is that the eggs are super hard. Even my chicken eggs are harder. I think the calcium levels are too high in my water. All the birds are happy, their poop looks normal.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might want to look into this a bit, but there needs to be a proper ratio of phosphorus to calcium, as well as a good amount of vitamins including D. So there could be an imbalance.

5. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    Maybe small eggs were due to cold weather? Suddenly eggs are back to their normal sizes.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Could be extreme temps can effect eggs... the only ducks laying here are my Pekin but i am still in winter...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by