Duck Eggs Starting to Hatch but....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WalachaFarm, Apr 2, 2016.

1. WalachaFarm

WalachaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Hi Ya'll, My duck eggs weren't due to hatch until April 6th, tonight while checking them, this guy looked like this. There was no typical piiping circles, just a punch through. This egg as well as another are wobbling and moving a bit, and occasionally I hear peeping. Im seeing no peeping on the eggs, should I be concerned? Is this lil fella in distress? I know to let them be and not pick, ect. My humidity is averaging 75%.... Any helpful hints at this point would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time incubating, and I'm really nervous. :) Thanks! Mary

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It looks and sounds to me like those ducklings are getting ready to hatch. I've had a similar experience when hatching some pekin eggs, the first pips started 3 days before their due date, but keep in mind ducklings take up to 3 days to complete a hatch from start to finish. Keep the humidity as it is now, that is good and please keep us posted.

3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Yup, let thrm be, the duckling will proably stay like that for 24-36 hours before making more progress.

Post pictures, I love baby ducklings!!!!

4. WalachaFarm

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Two little ducklings have arrived. One keeps trying to crawl back in his shell & napping. I assume he is a little worn out, so I turned off the lights in that room & am letting them rest while they dry & recover. One more for certain to go. This is stressful! lol

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Thanks for the update!

6. WalachaFarm

Apr 22, 2015
    EMERGENCY SITUATION: The ducklings are dried, very rambuncsious (to the point of kicking & cracking the other eggs). The brooder is ready, food & heat lamp are ready.. I cannot find my duckling waterer! Any suggestions on how to homemake something safe? I live in a rural area & going to a store isn't an option.

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Any shallow dish with some marbles in it (so they can't climb in there and get soaked) will do in a pinch. As long as it's wide enough so they can't tip it over and soak the brooder.

How did the hatch go?

8. WalachaFarm

Apr 22, 2015
    Well, 4 out of 10 hatched. One needing a LOT of assistance, but seems to be doing fine. He was really small and gangly and dried crusted. We bathed him and put him under the heat lamp and he seems to be doing great. He's growing at a good rate, but still smaller than the 3 girls.

I started with 13 eggs, culled 4 throughout the process and figure for my first hatch 4/10 final ducklings wasn't bad. Ended up with 3 females and 1 male - also a pretty good ratio I think (as long as I sexed them correctly lol).

Now the next question... lol I have nine adults that go in a small 8x10 barn at night. It has a loft full of hay and a generous layer of bedding hay on the floor. When can I get these little guys outside with their parents? They are a week and a half and going through a quart of water a day each. Im washing the brooder and bedding daily. I just switched them from rubber cupboard liner (it was washable and I figured a good item to use) to wood chips to help with the mess and odor. We can't heat the barn with a lamp because of how low the loft is. While it is in the 60s during the day, it does get low 40s at night. I just wonder at what age the adults heat would sufficiently keep the ducklings warm. Or even when I could start acclemating them outside for a few hours during the day with the adults.

I do have 6 female adults and 3 males. Will the males show aggression with them being young?

Also, would bringing one of my females in to introduce them initially be a good or bad idea? I have and old timey cement shower in the basement, I use the stall as a brooder, So there would be sufficient room.

I think thats all I have for now. Sorry about all the questions. I just want to make sure I do everything to the best of my ability.

Thanks Ya'll!

Mary

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm afraid I can't answer all those questions, as I've not raised ducklings before, I only hatched them (for a friend), but some of the duck owners here should be along shortly with advice. Good luck with your ducklings!

10. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Are you asking when they can share the coop?
    If so, it is going to take a while. You can't just put ducklings with adults - it won't go well. Those ducks have no clue the ducklings are theirs. If you can separate the bigs from the littles, then they can go out at any time as long as you can still provide heat for them. It will help with introductions as well since they will get an early start of seeing, but not getting to each other.

Same with bringing an adult in, not a good idea. Non broody birds aren't very accepting of babies.

I have 4 ducks. 2 don't care much about new additions... the other 2 don't like new littles and will chase them around and try to grab them if they can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by