Duck eggs under a chicken?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fastrnrik, Oct 13, 2012.

1. fastrnrik

fastrnrik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Sorry I know this information has been covered on here before, but I cant find it. I have a golden phoenix hen who has made a nest and has been laying eggs in our shop. She has 6 eggs in there now. I don't know how many she will lay before she starts sitting. I also have a few duck eggs that were laid by our pond, although I'm not sure which girl laid them. We have several different breeds. I was thinking about slipping the duck eggs into the chicken nest, but I didn't know when to do it. Do I put them in now or wait until she starts sitting on the nest? I have read that chickens are 21 days and ducks are 28 days, but that sometimes the chicken will stay on the eggs until they hatch because they feel the eggs are good? Does that sound right? Or will she have her chicks then abandon the other eggs? Sorry for the questions, just didn't want to screw up. Thank you.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you incubate chicken eggs and duck eggs at the same time under a broody hen, she will leave the nest shortly after the chicks hatch. Sometimes removing the chicks immediately after hatching will trick her into setting longer, but it is iffy. If you really want to hatch duck eggs, I would give her duck eggs ony.

3. fastrnrik

fastrnrik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Ok. thank you for the info. I will just leave her alone then. I was just thinking of a way to get some baby ducks LOL. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by