Duck eggs under broody chicken

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherD42, Mar 23, 2016.

1. HeatherD42

HeatherD42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    My neighbor's hen just started setting some of my duck eggs yesterday. Do I need to mist the eggs to simulate a duck who's left the nest for a bath? If so, how do I accomplish it? I guess I'm supposed to disturb the broody as little as possible, but I don't really want to creep onto my neighbor's property at night to lift her off the eggs...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmmm, I wonder if @Miss Lydia might have some ideas?

3. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    deleted...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I may be wrong as I've never incubated any eggs but aren't the humidity requirements the same for chicken and duck eggs? If a chicken egg needs the same humidity shouldn't the broody hen be able to provide it without assistance?

5. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    With ducks, they get up each day to eat, drink, and bathe, then they get back on the nest with moist feathers

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have never let one of my hens[chickens] sit any duck eggs but watching my ducks that are broody they do wet themselves at least 1X a day for humidity not sure if a chicken can keep the humidity up as high but I have seen others on here that have had hens brood and hatch ducklings before. So I am thinking it can be done. Not sure if they misted the eggs for the hen or not though.

1 person likes this.
  7. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    One of my silkies just hatched some call duck eggs for me. I put 5 under her, 4 developed, and she hatched all 4. Way better percentage than my incubator. I didn't touch them after I put them under her. So I would say no you do not need to mist them.

1 person likes this.
  8. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    The fertility rate of my eggs was really low (good for nothing drake!!) so I'm worried I won't get any ducklings if I don't do everything I can to improve the hatching rate. But I don't want to bother the hen so much that she decides to stop setting the eggs

9. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    I'm glad to hear it went so well for you, DoubletakeFarm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by