Duck eggs with air sac on narrow side - how to position in incubator cradle ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mcf10101, Jan 2, 2017.

1. mcf10101

mcf10101 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    I am impressed with all the assistance everyone contributes - hope you can help me.
    My immediate emergency QUESTION below - please ADVISE .........................
    I am trying to hatch out some Pekin ducklings. They have been in the incubator for 15 days and all look healthy upon candling.
    THE PROBLEM
    ALL of the eggs seem to have the air sac on the narrower side.
    They have been in the incubator narrow side down for the 15 days but I think I should put them with the air sac on the top -- which would mean narrow side up (opposite of what all websites advise).
    One other factor --- the duck eggs are now really pointy or very narrow at one end -- same are hard to tell which is the narrower side.
    ???????So again my question is should I put them in the incubator cradle with the air sac on the top side?????????
    Please help as I am so concerned that these ducklings will develop and then die of suffocation before hatching out.

2. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    I am not familiar with incubating eggs, but I think that if they have been developing normally the whole time, it shouldn't be a big deal. Good luck to you and your little ducklings, I hope everything goes well!

3. Kdunn222

Kdunn222 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Southern md
    I have always turned mine for the first few weeks. Slowly.

4. Kdunn222

Kdunn222 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Southern md
    The mother turns the eggs and if you candle now you should see going veins or movement

5. mcf10101

mcf10101 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    I have candled them -- all are good/ fertile -- but I need to know if the air sac is supposed to be positioned on top - with placement in the cradle/ egg holder of the incubator?

My incubator has cradles to place the egg - be fore I candled them the I placed (what I thought was the smaller side down) but the air sac is on the other side ( the slightly narrower side).

I have now turned them over so the air sac is on top -- is that the correct thing to do?

6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I have my Duck eggs in an incubator also......Mine all lay on their sides. I turn them 3 times a day....I believe you turn the eggs in that style of incubator 3 times also....Tip down, tip up, tip down, tip up........

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by