Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LuckyDucksInn, Nov 1, 2016.

1. LuckyDucksInn

LuckyDucksInn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2016
    My peking and indian runner are laying eggs daily :) I put them in the refrigerator (the eggs that is) when I let the ducks outside in the morning...should I wash the eggs first? I have read to leave them as is in the refrig. until I am ready to cook with them. Thanks for your wisdom my duck friends.

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Only have to wash em if they're dirty. If the ducks have enough clean bedding, washing eggs will probably be a nonissue.

1 person likes this.
  3. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    Thanks for your input :)Our eggs are generally pretty clean except for a few spots here and there...I googled washing duck eggs and this is what I found:
    "Egg shells are porous, but God designed them to have a micro membrane coating on them called “bloom” to keep potential baby chicks and their environment safe and clean.
    Bacteria has a hard time getting inside a dry egg. Washing dirty eggs removes the bloom and invites bacteria to be drawn inside the egg. And washing eggs in cool water actually creates a vacuum, pulling unwanted bacteria inside even faster."
    Not sure if this information is correct...I also have friends asking for some eggs and I they probably expect them to look like they came from a store.

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a link to an article in the Learning Center that may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cleaning-and-storing-fresh-eggs.

Also including an NPR article as food for thought: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt.

It sounds like you may be planning to give eggs to your friends, but if you choose to sell eggs, you'll want to check your state's requirements - many require washing, some require new cartons only, specific labeling, etc.

5. Redwine2001

Redwine2001 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    I need to know if it's ok to mess up the Ducks bed to airiate it? They get it crushed down and poopy. I have mixed it up to turn it over but now my female just started laying eggs. Should I leave it alone and let it stay crushed down?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Redwine2001 Welcome to BYC!

It all depends on what you want, do you want her to brood the eggs? if so give her a small piece of their house where the eggs are make a nest box out of it then you can clean around it and leave the eggs alone and see if she will sit. Mine lay daily usually in one place so I just remove the eggs and clean out the wet poop stir up or add new bedding if needed and good to go.

1 person likes this.
  7. Redwine2001

Redwine2001 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    I definitely do not want ducklings at this time. Thank you for your info.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

9. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]
    I've also heard horror stories about people eating eggs from friends and getting sick, then their health care company sues the person that gave them the eggs(shiver)...I hope that NEVER happens to me, I sometimes give eggs away...
    Haha

10. LuckyDucksInn

Oct 21, 2016
    Thanks for the links [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by