Duck Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by llombardo, Mar 18, 2018.

1. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I have three baby ducks. One male and one female for sure, not sure about the other one yet.

How does this work? How long do I have to grab the eggs before they are no longer edible?

Is it true once refrigerated the cycle stops? I do not want to crack one open and there is any sign of a baby in there. I'm truly scared if this happening.

I do not want baby ducks, just the eggs to eat. Will they give me problems when I take the eggs?

2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Collect every egg everyday and you will be fine. If one of your ducks is broody she may fight you. Eggs need to be at around 99F to start developing so they will not develop in the fridge.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    They sometimes do two? Isn't that in the beginning? Our motto here is no egg left behind.

4. kumquat

kumquat Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    PNW
    Are you asking if a duck can lay two eggs a day? Egg production is certainly more erratic as a duck comes into laying, so I imagine that it is possible (if you have a high-production breed & strain) but unlikely.

A duck usually won't constantly sit on a nest (constant raised temperatures is what triggers the beginning of embryo development) until they have collected a number of eggs. So even if you miss an egg for a day, it will still be fine to eat. Did you know that unwashed eggs actually have a protective layer that helps to preserve their freshness? You can read about it here.

Are your ducks close to laying age? If so, supplementing oyster shell available free-choice is a good idea. Calcium is important for laying ducks - both for shell production and the contractions needed to pass the egg. But the drakes don't need it.

5. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    They are only about 4 weeks right now. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row...

6. kumquat

kumquat Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    PNW
    :yuckyuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: