Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by hsm5grls, Nov 2, 2007.

1. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I was wondering if anyone sold duck eggs to hatch. I am going to build my incubator this weekend and would like to try and hatch some duck eggs with the girls.

2. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Can I suggest trying chicken eggs first? If this is a home made incubator your making. Duck eggs seem to be pretty difficult to incubate. You may have a better success with chicken eggs then move onto ducks?
    Where are you located. Are you wanting pick up or shipped?
    Best of luck in your search!

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Duck eggs aren't necessarily that hard. Even in a homemade incubator. I did it and I had no prior incubating experience. If you like ducks, I say go for it. Just read up about how to do it, which I'm sure you will.

I don't sell eggs for hatching, and I'm only getting 1-2 eggs per day, so they wouldn't be all equally fresh for hatching. Better if you found someone with a larger number of fresh eggs per day.

4. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    If your children are understanding, go for it with the duck eggs, I just didn't want them to be disappointed.
    IMO chicken eggs are a little easier to hatch. I have been hatching ducklings for a bit now and still having difficulties. There are many different pieces of advice you will find.

Just know that duck eggs take a bit longer to loose humidity and keep an eye on the air cell.

You will love your little ducklings!

I am on back order for eggs, the girls are just NOT working with me LOL

5. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Thank you for the advice. I wanted to hatch duck eggs because we have been wanting 2 ducks but it seems you have to order at least 10 and we don't want that many. I thought it might be better to hatch our own. I will investigate a little more. We have never hatched anything before. The girls are pretty understanding but DH takes things pretty hard. He gets sad if gold fish die so we may have to start with chickens (we live in Tucson, AZ)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  6. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I start hatching my duck eggs in January. If you need any help I would be happy to do what I can. The only differences that I can tell is... They take a little longer to hatch and you have to spray them with warm water a couple times a day. I don't have any eggs right now but would be happy to send some when my girls start laying again. I raise Welsh Harlequins and just love them. Do some research on what breed you want. My WH's are very trainable and very gentle. They are not as noisy as some other breeds.

7. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I start hatching my duck eggs in January. If you need any help I would be happy to do what I can. The only differences that I can tell is... They take a little longer to hatch and you have to spray them with warm water a couple times a day. I don't have any eggs right now but would be happy to send some when my girls start laying again. I raise Welsh Harlequins and just love them. Do some research on what breed you want. My WH's are very trainable and very gentle. They are not as noisy as some other breeds.

I will do some more reading about it and will get back with you. I definitely want a couple of ducks though.​

8. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    When you get two ducks you will have to get four. When you get four you will have to get eight...I love my ducks...Then we'll talk about Geese [​IMG]

9. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Quote:OH NO Don't encourage me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have some crossbreed duck eggs, but I don't think they are supposed to be very fertile in the fall (at least, that's what I heard).
    Anyway, the breeds I have are Blue Swedish, Fawn and White Indian Runners, and Black Cayuga. I have a pair of each, but they all live together so most of them will probably be crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by