Duck eggs????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lorrie77, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Lorrie77

Lorrie77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    I know that this is a chicken forum, but I was hoping someone here would have some
    experience with hatching duck eggs. Is it the same as hatching a chicken egg other than
    it takes a duck egg 28 days to hatch? Any info would be great, thanks [​IMG]

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Duck eggs need higher humidity. They need a brief cool-down period every day. They hatch best if they are incubated on their sides and hand turned.

4. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi Lorrie! I am a first time duck hatcher too. I just found my broody duck and her clutch of 17 eggs today and moved them into the coop.
    I do not know what I'm doing, but if I learned anything hatching chicks it is that I need to meddle less, particularly given that my duck is more skiddish than either hen that sat for me.
    One thing I did note: duck eggs were easier to candle.

5. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi Lorrie! I am a first time duck hatcher too. I just found my broody duck and her clutch of 17 eggs today and moved them into the coop.
    I do not know what I'm doing, but if I learned anything hatching chicks it is that I need to meddle less, particularly given that my duck is more skiddish than either hen that sat for me.
    One thing I did note: duck eggs were easier to candle.

6. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    how can u get near broody ducks when i had ducks omg they were sooooo violent. go near her and she swak then go closer she gets louder and louder then she will bolt at u running and snapping her bill and she will get u so ur lucky

7. Lorrie77

Lorrie77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    I put my duck eggs in the incubator to hatch, my ducks just started laying
    eggs so while they were distracted outside, I snuck in and took the eggs [​IMG]
    I have three eggs so far, not sure which duck layed them as I have seven females
    and 1 male. I am curious though because these are their first eggs and they are
    kind of small, will this cause any problems?
    Thanks everyone for the advise, wish me luck [​IMG]

8. Germangirlygirl

Germangirlygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Kempner
    My duck layed her first egg today, I'm sooooo excited!

9. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:Oh, she is a little scary with all that hissing, but when I first moved her I was counting on her counting on blending in (which she does amazingly, even knowing what 20' x 30' area she was nesting in I couldn't have found her with out the dog's help!). My ducks are also a little afraid of me [​IMG]

10. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    We are also incubating duck eggs, we have 3 muscovy hens and one drake - so we've put ten eggs in the incubator, and we're now at about day 18 - candled them on 8th day and two were looking dodgy, so left them another week and candled them 3 days ago, 4 were definitely bad, so took them out (2 infertile, 2 early deaths)

So we have 6 left on their sides.. fingers crossed... Muscovy ducks are 35 days to hatch, so we're almost half way through

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by