1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackhorn01, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Are duck eggs good to eat like chicken eggs?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    To me, yes. They are different. Bigger yolks, harder shells than chicken eggs.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't eat mine. I bake with them but I prefer chicken eggs for egg based dishes. I don't know if it is psychological or not. I don't get nearly as many duck eggs as chicken eggs and I am trying to let as many hatch as possible.

Like Amiga said, bigger, larger yolk, the whites are thicker too. You need to cook them a little differently than chicken eggs (for like over easy type cooking). There is a thread about it on here somewhere.

4. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

We love them- I supply my whole family - grown children and grandchildren and everyone is extremely disappointed when they aren't available. I find for frying them - the heat needs to be a little lower - cook a little slower. They are great for baking - probably because the yolks are larger - if you beat them well they will make pancakes rise higher and add alot to other baked breads etc. Give them a try -

5. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I'm an egg lover so if there are people that like them, I'm sure I will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by