Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mymenagerie67, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mymenagerie67

mymenagerie67 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014
    Chattanooga TN
    Just wondering how many people have ducks for their eggs, I have 4 kc hens, about 3 months old, and got them for either eggs, along with our hens eggs. Is anyone out there eating duck eggs aswell? A neighbor has pekins and got sick from her eggs now i'm wondering if I should worry about it or not.....any thoughts or comment would be greatly appreciated. thank you

2. corrinekay

corrinekay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    We definitely eat duck eggs and have never gotten sick. If you collect them timely and wash them you shouldn't ever have a problem. They are good, especially for baking. You can also sell eggs or let some hatch out in spring if you have a male.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have ducks eggs here.. unless she has an intolerance a duck egg is no more harmful than a chicken egg, so i have no idea what to say on that.

Ducks eggs are well known for their baking usage, highly prized in some areas actually.

4. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

I cannot produce enough to sell! I can sell dozens a day. Eggs are amazing, best bang for your buck and more nutritious than chickens.

Absolute no issues in getting sick, that's a safe food handling error.

5. mymenagerie67

May 10, 2014
    Chattanooga TN
    Thank you for all the info, now looking forward to trying duck eggs...
    I have 4 KC males if you know of anyone that would like them...Chatt TN area

6. corrinekay

Jun 10, 2013
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I'm in Clarksville TN. We are almost neighbors, lol. I have mostly mallards, besides the one white mallard and a kc hen.

7. mymenagerie67

May 10, 2014
    Chattanooga TN
    Ahh ok, got the 4 kc's hoping that atleast some would be females, nope, all males and I ended up with 2 male mallards aswell. Had to order 4 females which are now 4 months now, still need to find homes for the 6 males

8. corrinekay

Jun 10, 2013
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Are you keeping at least one male for breeding purposes or just wanting all girls.

9. mymenagerie67

May 10, 2014
    Chattanooga TN
    Just keeping the girls

10. ringaring

ringaring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    I'm having egg issues: I have 10 adult ducks, all laying last year, yet this year I am only getting 2-3 eggs a day, laid in their house. I also have 4 drakes and 10 ducklings & juveniles - sexes to be determined. They free range from 0900-1900 and have a secure duck house at night. I have found 2 nests outside which are now gone along with the brush they were hiding in. Any suggestions as to how I can convince the rest of them to start laying again - preferably in the house? Could the changes in the flock be inhibiting their laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by