Duck Eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CountyGirl12, Mar 2, 2015.

1. CountyGirl12

CountyGirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    I got 3 baby ducks yesterday. We don't know if they are boys or girls (we will when they are older ;) ) But when they are older we are going to build a pen for them. It said female ducks will lay eggs even if there isn't a male present. If they lay eggs, and we collect the eggs, are they going to turn into ducklings? How will we know if they have been fertilized by the male? If we collected them to late, and the male fertilized them, but we put them into the fridge, would they not turn into ducklings because they are cold?

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    They have to be fertilized eggs.There is a 1 out of 3 chance you have fertilized rggs.If one does happen ti be fertilized,and you crack it or leave it in the fridge,it's gonna die.

Poultry animals need it's mother's heat to survive,the fridge would feel like Antarctica's blizzards falling on it.

3. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Th will lay without a male.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fertile eggs do not develop into chicks or ducklings until they have been incubated. Collect daily and there will be no problem with eating fertile eggs.

5. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    You would have to do one of the lighting ways or something to know there is a baby duck.in them

6. CountyGirl12

Feb 24, 2015
    Ok. Thanks. And we wouldn't put them in the fridge to raise lol we don't want more ducklings after these are adults. We was going to eat the eggs ;) So if I collect the eggs every day after school (around 4pm) they would be good to cook and eat?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the eggs are collected daily, there will be no development, and they will be fine to eat.

8. CountyGirl12

Feb 24, 2015
    Ok, great! Thank you again :) And I don't want to make a new thread since I just made this one, but would anyone be able to tell how old my ducklings are? I saw pictures of 1 week old ducklings and the week old ones look way bigger than mine. :jumpy

[​IMG]

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I would guess under a week.

10. CountyGirl12

Feb 24, 2015
    Ok. I emailed TSC and asked them what was the age, and they said the age can be anywhere from under 1 week to 5 weeks. I don't they would be over 2 weeks old lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by