Duck Emergency?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckDuckGuinea, Dec 31, 2009.

1. DuckDuckGuinea

DuckDuckGuinea University of North Quackalina

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
    Picture of my Pekin's bottom left foot. Do I need to seek avian emergency vet? Please advise.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
  2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    looks like bumble foot, look it up on the search, for the solution

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    It looks like either a swollen joint (from injury), potential bumblefoot infection, or a callous.... Most likely the first or second option....

When you feel the bump, is it soft and squishy or hard and lumpy? Can you feel anything "move" around when you squish it? Is there a scab at all on the bump? Was the duck limping or showing signs of distress? How has her appetite been?

She may need antibiotics, or potentially may need the "puss plug" from the swollen bump (if it's an infection) removed through surgical means (either at home or by a vet).

For now, you should clean the area, put some antibiotic ointment (one without lidocaine, that pain killer is poisonous to birds) on the wound and bandage it as best as you can (water proof bandaids). You can also buy non medicated corn cushions (they look like little foam donuts in the foot care section) and place one around the bump before applying ointment or bandages (it will give a little cushion for when the duck walks). Your duck would appreciate a nice warm bath aka "spa time" to get off that foot and relax a little. If you think it's a swollen joint, you can give her a mini soak in a small tub with warm water and epsom salt (make sure she doesn't drink the water) for about ten minutes or so at a time.

If you need to, feel free to pm me, I've had a lot of experience with duck foot problems!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  4. DuckDuckGuinea

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
    Thank you for your response. Ironically, I found your website last night, in a frantic search to diagnosis...what a cute video with your ducks eating fish in the tub!

1. The bump feels tight. Unable to depress it, but I gently ran my fingers over it.

2. Cannot feel anything when I move it.

3. No scab.

4. Limping and standing on unaffected foot.

5. This morning came out of her duck pen and had diarrhea (larger than a pancake)

6. Have not seen her eat.drink

7. Currently nestled under Christmas tree in aviary (along with her 3 female ducks and 2 drakes).

Just called an after hours avian emergency vet that is open about an hour away in Raleigh,NC. They wouldn't tell me if I should or should not come in...Understandable.

Thanks for you help!

Jane

5. DuckDuckGuinea

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
    Update: We have been at the animal hospital all day. Nellie is in surgery now. Antibiotics, Anti-inflammatories, seclusion, and a lot of work ahead. Thanks for the advice yall.
    [​IMG]

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    how's nellie doing? did they say what the problem was?

eta: [​IMG] you'll love it here. everyone is so nice and helpful, as nettie proved right here lol

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  7. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:sorry for such a sorry response, i was at work and had to take a call
    so what was wrong with nellie 's foot?
    how is she doin?

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Keep us updated on her recovery!

9. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    To Nellie: Our wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Get well soon! [​IMG]

10. DuckDuckGuinea

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you all so much for the support. Family and Friends think I am crazy. It has been a long 10 hour day at the hospital with Nellie.

Diagnosis:

After anesthesia and lancing of mass - moderate cellulitis and small pocket of serosanguinous fluid.

Xray showed no evidence of bony involvement.

Fine Needle Aspiration - small, turgid light yellow material recovered. Abundant pink proteinaceous materal and white blood cells

Fecal gram stain - 50% gram positive (predom cocci) and 50% gram negative (pred rods), bacteria 3+, no yeast

Treatment:

Anesthesia, prepped with dilute chlorhexidine and saline. Mass Lanced and flushed. Bandage on foot

Medications:

Trimethoprim-Sulfa (48mg/ml) 2.3mLs every 12 hours x 7 days worth
    Carprofen (25mg tab) 0.25 tab every day x 5 days woth

Back to regular avian vet on Monday.

I am so exhausted and to read the responses on this forum put a smile on my face.

Thank You ALL!

Love BYC!

Jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by