Duck Enclosure Question: Natural Spring

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TaylorB1216, Feb 17, 2017.

1. TaylorB1216

TaylorB1216 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    Hi All
    We are considering moving our existing duck enclosure to new spot on our property.
    We have a variety of natural springs throughout the property, and one happens to run near the yard. I was considering building the duck enclosure around one of these smaller natural springs (it would give the ducks access to drinking water/play water constantly, and the general area around the spring is full of lush foliage and a variety of foraging opportunities for them).

We would build their coop up higher on the hill (away from all of the moisture), and would enclose a run for them from their coop down through a portion of the spring).

I also thought that maybe we could dig a pond area for them, that would be supplied via the spring?

Has anyone ever opted to include a natural water source within their enclosure?
    I've looked everywhere online and can't find anything like this.

Thanks!
    -Brooke

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Sounds interesting. I have not but would love to see what you create.

3. LeannS

LeannS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    What ever small pond you have them in, it will get larger and if you value your plants, they will love them too. Drainage / water flow, would be very important, or you pond will get stale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by