Duck Enrichment

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RouenBud, Nov 10, 2016.

1. RouenBud

RouenBud Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    My Coop
    I have 1 duck and he is realy lonely but has chickens to hang with at least (he has a crush on one of our 3 year olds when he's not even
    8 months!) but I feel bad so what are some good things he can fiddle with?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You shouldn't keep a male duck with chickens unless he has some duck hens. He will eventually try to mate with your chickens and could seriously hurt them. He needs some duck hens.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You'll want to get him a mate. As oldhenslikedogs said, he's going to try to mate with your hens otherwise and he's going to hurt or kill them thanks to anatomical differences. Plus he'll be much happier with other ducks to hang out with.

Preferably you'd get him three or four girls, but one is better than nothing if that's all you can do.

4. RouenBud

RouenBud Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    My Coop
    Well he is a seriously nice duck to all the chickens and sometimes we see him wait to eat till the others are done [​IMG]

5. RouenBud

RouenBud Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    My Coop
    He did have a female duck to play with but a fox got her![​IMG]

6. RouenBud

RouenBud Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    My Coop
    Ya we are planning on getting a saxony duck for him. He is a Rouen but I read the history of a saxony duck and a Rouen ends up breeding with a German Pekin and a Manerain duck to make a saxony

7. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    In warm weather I float their favorite fruit and veggies in water for them. Halved watermelons also provide hours of entertainment.

Last year I added about 2 lbs of composting earth worms to their pen. They hunted those all winter and had a blast looking for them.

In winter I put out whole cabbage for them, Napa and Savoy are their favorites and only last about a day for 5 ducks. Regular cole slaw type green cabbage and red cabbage last a couple of days.

I'm considering putting a dog treat ball in for them this year and filling it with BOSS and dried black soldier fly larvae for them this winter. I can't do the composting worms this year because i switched from straw to horse bedding pine pellets.

I also take them for forest walks and let them eat all the things they find in the leaf litter. They really enjoy those and usually need to sleep it off when i take them back to the pen.

8. RouenBud

RouenBud Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info! :) all of it could work accept the dog ball toy that he is scared of :lol:
    He is kind of a piece of work to keep occupied :he

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  9. RouenBud

RouenBud Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    My Coop
    Oh also one thing :welcome :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by