Duck entertainment? And ducks as gifts?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Jan 16, 2011.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Has anybody ever given ducklings as gifts? What would keep a lone duck (or 2) occupied during the day? Not Easter gifys, heard too many horror stories, but maybe birthday gifts for someone seriously interested? Sort of promoting ducky amazingness? [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi Percy--

I'm not really a fan of giving live animals as gifts. Pets are a big commitment, and a really personal one at that. I can see a parent maybe "giving" ducklings as a gift to their own child IF the parent actually wants the ducks for themselves but knows that the child will enjoy some responsibility and "ownership" of the ducklings.

I also never ever sell lone ducklings. Ducks really suffer when they have to be alone. There's a reason solitary confinement is used as a punishment for humans, and ducks are even more socially dependent than humans. A companion of a different species is not adequate compensation for the lack of your own. I do sell pairs of ducklings, though--it's not ideal, but I don't think the ducks suffer as long as they have at least one ducky companion. They don't really need anything to keep them occupied--they're pretty content little critters as long as they have at least one companion--but many people give them stuffies, bells to play with, and treats to entertain them.

If you are looking for ways to market ducky "awesomeness" [​IMG], maybe you could sell gift certificates. That way, the new owner isn't committed to a pet they may not really want, and they have an opportunity to pick out their own personal favorite rather than something someone else chose for them. You'd have to be willing to accept that the new owner may choose just to have the cash rather than the ducklings, but it would keep your ducklings relatively safe from a potentially unfortunate situation.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Yes thanks! For the gift giving, it was actually for a close friend who wants ducks, and loves them to death. She was wondering if I could ask for her. She'd be at school all day, though, and her family has one of those. "fancy" houses.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think a gift certificate would be a good idea. That way, they can choose the kind of ducks they want or use it for something else like books on ducks, supplies, etc. And, they can use the certificate when they want, so if now is not a good time for them to have ducklings, they can wait until they're ready.

You can make your own certificates, perhaps put something on it like "this certificate is good for two free ducklings and supplies from (your name) to be used whenever bearer wishes to use it."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by