• Poll closed .

thechickenflock

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Not Garden City, Thank God
Hi, I have a few questions,

Firstly I am located in southern Michigan

I have a duck whose eye had been slowly sinking into her head and bubbling occasionally, I had been putting a vet prescribed antibiotic ointment on it and letting her drink water with oregano oil in it. She has a fairly advanced case of bumble foot on her foot waiting to be operated on and some of her foot webbing looked like it was bitten of by what we presume to be a snapping turtle. Today however Her eye exploded
ep.gif
all over her wing and face leaving a cavity, my main worry is quality of life, survivability and infection

I am wondering what could cause this and should I cull, If so what is the most humane way other than beheading.

I absolutely love this duck and she is far and away our favorite and the drakes' favorite and the only one I would let raise little quacklings

A vet visit would be $112

Last edited:
Hi, I have a few questions,

Firstly I am located in southern Michigan

I have a duck whose eye had been slowly sinking into her head and bubbling occasionally, I had been putting a vet prescribed antibiotic ointment on it and letting her drink water with oregano oil in it. She has a fairly advanced case of bumble foot on her foot waiting to be operated on and some of her foot webbing looked like it was bitten of by what we presume to be a snapping turtle. Today however
Her eye exploded all over her wing and face
I am wondering what could cause this and should I cull, If so what is the most humane way other than beheading.

I absolutely love this duck and she is far and away our faveroite and the drakes' faveroite and the only one I would let raise little quacklings
Gee wiz, first sorry for your pain (and hers). Ducks are super tough. I have a hen that nearly had her head torn off and she survived (2 years now) and lays regularly. I have a Pekin that recently went broody and somehow got her eye area pecked, or something. Her eye also foams. I just keep it washed with an op eye wash (saline). If she goes blind in one eye so be it. If she seems regular, eating, roaming, I'd just monitor.

I would get the vet to prescribe an oral or injectable antibiotic - Also, please look at this thread - just the very first post, it has the information and illustrations with it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures
This one is certainly more advanced than that, her toe is nearly doubled in size and I can feel the hard kernel in it, next to the bone. I have had success treating more mild cases with green goo and vererycin

Back
Top Bottom