duck feed question....is chicken food ok?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    So i am finding mixed info on this. I just got 3 muscovy that are 2 weeks old. I am feeding chick starter, non medicated, right now. But when do I switch and to what. Is chicken layer feed ok? I have read keep them on started from anywhere between 3 and 20 weeks? Hoping ths same food the chickens eat is fine......its a poultry layer?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. MichikoSaur

MichikoSaur Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Texas
    chicken feed is fine as long as it's unmedicated. i dont know about chicken layer. Try to find food tht is also suitable for ducks.
    I used a starter/grower feed then switched to grower/finisher when they started to grow their feathers, few months old.
    but they tend to eat my dogs food haha

starter/grower feed: http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-feed/poultry-feed/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20--1039256

grower/finisher
    : http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-feed/poultry-feed/dumor-reg-poultry-grower-finisher-15-feed-50-lb--5078171

hope
    this helps:)

3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks. its not medicated. I only use organic feed for my animals so I am not worried about that. Just want to make sure they are getting what they need.

Anyone else?

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i have been giving my ducks the chicken layer feed. i started out with seperating the feed. of course when they were just ducklings, they received water fowl feed. but because they free range along side our chickens, i switched them to the chicken feed. much easier.

5. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    I use game bird starter for the first 2 months. Then purina flock raiser.

6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    so seems like it should be ok? My chickens are going onto grower until 16 weeks soon. Would that be ok for a while its 19 % the layer is 17 the starter is 19 also

7. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    My ducks eat along side my chickens. They also free range along with my goose. I only feed laying crumbles and corn now. During the winter I feed them lettuce and peas to. So all of mine eat the same thing.

8. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks all. I am going to contact my feed company and just ask them what they recommend...

Hey when do you all let your muscovy ducklings start to have swim time? and for how long?

9. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I feed my ducks medicated chick start. They medication stuff used now isn't toxic to sucks like it used to be. It is a thiamin blocker instead. I planing moving them up to the next stage at about 12 Wis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by