Duck feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AlleysChicks, Jul 8, 2018.

1. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    ok total duck newb. I got 5 lings yesterday. They are supposedly 1-2 weeks old.
    I mixed up some 18% flock feed last night and this morning for them. No feed stores here have a actual duck feed. Tsc has purina flock feed but it’s about $18 a bag. I’d rather not get that.

Do I need to worry about too low or too high protein for angel wing? Also what about niacin? Brewers yeast and peas? Anything else?

casportpony and KikisGirls like this.
  2. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Chirping

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Purina flock raiser is good feed for duck. Crumbles for the age you have. About 6 weeks you can go pellets. The pellets are about 16 dollars for 40 pounds. Very reasonable. I put mine on Mazuri waterfowl maintenance at first egg. It's pricey at 40 dollars for 50 pounds. But you. Would keep them on Flock Raiser

casportpony likes this.
  3. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    Thank you that helped a lot!

I’d rather not do anything too pricey. I feed my chickens flock feed so I want to try to feed the same things if possible. That way if someone else feeds them they won’t mess up and give them the wrong thing.
    There are tons of layer feeds here and 2 varies of flock(crumples and pellets) beyond that not much here.

casportpony and CayugaJana like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Feed them what you feed your chickens if it's not layer then you can supplement with Nutritional yeast for the extra niacin they need. Until 10 weeks of age they will need 1 Tab per cup of feed daily. Crumbles to start. What breed?

5. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Chirping

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Chicken feed is not ok for ducks. They have different nutritional requirements. You need an all flock feed. I don't think 16 dollars per 40 pounds is more than chicken feed. Of course I am duck biased:love

happy duck likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

I feed my ducks chicken feed since I haven't a choice for others feeds and I want to feed NON GMO . I have had ducks since 2004 and never had any problems. You have to supplement for the lack of niacin in the chick starter but that is no biggie. Nutritional yeast is available on line and at health food stores. Or B Complex liquid.

7. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Chirping

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Listen to miss Lydia she is much more experienced than I am.

8. Miss Lydia

The biggest difference in All flock and chick starter is the all flock has more niacin so it's more formulated for water fowl. But if you can't get all flock or duck starter it's fine to use chick starter and just supplement the extra niacin they need.
    @Magnolia Ducks :hugs

Susan12, CayugaJana and AlleysChicks like this.
  9. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Chirping

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Thank you. You have been so much help to me . Miss Lydia rules!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: