Duck feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckylove2, Feb 27, 2013.

1. duckylove2

duckylove2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    I have two crested pekin ducklings, I have been doing a lot of research to find the best feed. I really want to have them on a healthy balanced diet. I would love to have them graze in my yard but there are too many hawks and other predators around. So my question is What is the best feed or diet to keep them on?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Around my part of the country Purina Flock raiser is the best, you can start ducklings out on it and they can continue to eat it all of their lives, start with crumble and when older feed pellets if you like, and also feed chopped romaine lettuce, frozens lil green peas thawed, dried of fresh mealworms, be sure to offer grit if you feed anything other than reg feed though, and make sure to give then extra niacin if they won't be grazing. especially helpful for legs and brain function. But you might want to reconsider letting them have some time outside when you can be with them, letting ducks be ducks is also good for their development. Congrats on your babies, pics when you can and [​IMG]

3. duckylove2

duckylove2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you for your reply.... We are in the process of building them a coop with a pond, it should be finish by this weekend. Once they get bigger I will let them rome the property under supervision. Do you know where I can find a list of food they can and cannot eat ?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This link will give you alot of great info... all the best. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by