Duck feed

lizp

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Lees summit Missouri
Question I have a female pekin duck that is laying two eggs a day. Is that normal?! I'm giving her layer feed but I'm thinking it's too much for her. Problem is that her eggs are making everyone sick. Some people are telling me that her feed has too much protein in it. Someone recommended that I give her just cracked corn. What do you all suggest. Please let me know. she feels fine acts fine I just don't want her laying so many eggs that it's causing an issue for her. What to do?!?!

Question I have a female pekin duck that is laying two eggs a day. Is that normal?! I'm giving her layer feed but I'm thinking it's too much for her. Problem is that her eggs are making everyone sick. Some people are telling me that her feed has too much protein in it. Someone recommended that I give her just cracked corn. What do you all suggest. Please let me know. she feels fine acts fine I just don't want her laying so many eggs that it's causing an issue for her. What to do?!?!
welcome-byc.gif

First, please do not just give her cracked corn. Mercy. As well-intentioned as that suggestion may be, it would be like giving your child Snickers bars for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

So let's back up. It is unusual for a duck to lay two eggs a day. I won't say she's not, just it's unusual.

If it is a layer feed, it is probably 16 or 17%. That's not too much, from anything I have read or experienced.

Making everyone sick . . . Who is everyone? The family? Is it possible that you are allergic? Otherwise, I would have her checked out - at least a fecal exam, to make sure she doesn't have a bacterial infection. Also, does she have plenty of clean bedding on which to lay her eggs, or do you need to fish the eggs out of the pool?

It is great that she seems to be fine, and that you care for her so.
smile.png

No one is allergic. Yes my family gets very sick if we eat the eggs. . Use your imagination. Yuck! So I've been thinking I may get her eggs checked. She really doesn't sleep in anything bad. Sleeps in the grass primarily. Cracked corn is only a temporary thought. I know it's not great for them but we were told to try to slow down her metabolism. Hmmmmm

Ya know, if I wanted the eggs to slow down, I would make her a nice comfy spot where I could turn the lights down low. Very lovely ambience
wink.png

I did this for my Sechs, who had a prolapse. She went broody and was that way for four months, no eggs. And that is what she needed - a rest.

I have had food borne sickness, so I can imagine. Not good. Really, if she's got something it would be best to get her some treatment (based on knowing what it is) and then all would be healthier for it, I would hope.

I eat my runners' and buffs' eggs - often over easy, and they are fine. Only one person complained about an egg, and that person admitted to having an egg allergy (we had the discussion about that ahead of time).

Back
Top Bottom